PDA

View Full Version : Ten Steps To Mac Heaven

4d001
08-14-2006, 06:44 PM
hey there,

i am just about to order my very first MAC mwahahaha! time to break free of my mac virginity.....

however i have a slight problem.... ive hardly ever used a mac in my life, and to be honest im making a pretty big jump into the mac world with a 2500 macbook pro, so i hope i like it!!!! lol! fortunatly im not paying for all of it.

would each person replying to this thread please give up to TEN bits of simple but useful advice that i can use to get me on the right track!!!!

thanks

will ford

macdillon
08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Forget you ever used windows.

macAttack
08-14-2006, 06:54 PM
learn keyboard commnands-heres a good list http://www.lixlpixel.org/mac-keyboard-shortcuts/

if you use aol or yahoo or other communications-download adium adiumx.com

connect your digital camera right away, see what happens.

condition your battery, there are multiple threads about this on the forums, look around.

customize your mac! download a background, copy over your music...

don't hesitate to ask us any questions you can think of!

try to get used to expose and dashboard...F8 F9 F10 F11

try using a different browser, are you familiar with firefox perhaps?

if you're comfortable, delete extra printer drivers-they can take up a lot of room.

Have fun!!!

Katie
08-14-2006, 09:19 PM
macAttack gave some good advice! I've never personally owned one (yet), but those things (^) are basically the same ones I would do when I get mine. so, yeah, basically:

- customize
- play around/learn things/see what it can do
- ask questions!
- adium
- keyboard commands seem to be the thing with Macs, and apple.com even gives a list of some!
- if you go to apple.com, they have excellent 2 excellent pages for switchers (switch 101 and mac 101). check those out!
- figure out what's best for you. microsoft word on your computer, or pages. firefox, or safari. you know... things like that! :)

congrats on the new Mac! tell us what you think when it arrives. :)

NanoBite
08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
An AppleCare Extended Warranty is a great idea.

Prepare to have your breath taken away from you.

Please be gentle on yourself when the inevitable dawns on you.

Let the M$ memories fade as time heals all.

Enter a new phase in your life.

4d001
08-15-2006, 09:30 AM
try to get used to expose and dashboard...F8 F9 F10 F11

hey there, im trying not to sound dense!!! BUT..... whats the dashboard??

Aptmunich
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
The Dashboard is way of showing little 'helper' widgets (mini programs), such as translation, calculator, clock, google search in a separate environment.

Click the dashboard icon to show the widgets, click away again to make them disappear.

coach_z
08-15-2006, 10:01 AM
you can learn a lot about dashboard on apples site.

my suggestions is that before you go and start using 'other programs' use safari and ichat first and see how you like them. they are integrated very well. although i do personally use adiumx because of the ability to change its theme

most definately learn keyboard shortcuts, just a few right away will help you a lot!

dont expect it to be like windows, because, well....its not windows

play with it a lot, screw around with icons y ou see etc...the os is almost bulletproof so you wont need to worry about messing it up too much

go visit websites where y our old pc would normally get spyware and viruses and laugh at the websites face as you are completely immune to it

play with iLife

finally, enjoy your computer!
-chris

D3v1L80Y
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
1. try
2. one
3. out
4. yourself
5. to
6. see
7. if
8. you
9. like
10. it

:black:

MacAdder
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Install cleardock (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15895) to make your desktop even more beautiful than it already is :cool: