read only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
Can anyone tell me why my xp partition is read only from osx and how can i correct this.
Have i done something wrong when installing xp, because i would like to be able to transfer files from osx to xp.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
when you installed XP, did you format the partition as NTFS or FAT32? either is fine, but OS X can only read NTFS. It can, however, both read and write FAT32. But, the largest size a FAT32 partition can be is 32 GB i believe, otherwise it HAS to be NTFS. The only way to fix this is to remove your XP partition through Boot camp, repartition with the boot camp editor, and reinstall XP, but in the install setup choose FAT32 instead of NTFS (unless of course your drive is larger than 32 GB). Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that you can do this from the other side (the XP side). There are some excellent programs that allow XP to read/write OS X partitions. MacOpener is one that comes to mind immediately.

You can also transfer files back and forth using either USB pen drives or a USB Zip drive, formatting either one for FAT32, which both OS' can read.

If you running Parallels, you can get both Windows and Mac OS X going, and then use FTP to transfer files between them. The easiest way to do this is to pick up a good FTP Server for the Mac (such as PureFTPManager - freeware) and use one of the many FTP clients available on XP that make the Mac side look like the second pane of a dual pane file manager view (I believe xplorer2 does this, among many other such programs).

Of course you could always just turn Windows file sharing and use SMB to do the same thing, again if you have Parallels going. In the end I avoid this due to the inherent security issues with Windows file sharing.

There are lots of ways to do this... it is just that none of them is as direct as you would like. Windows makes things tough - aren't you glad you are on a Mac? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.