xp partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
Hi guys

Done a search but could not find the answer. What iwant to know is how can i hide the windows partition so it does not appear on my osx desktop.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can rename it to .something in the terminal to have it hidden from the file system altogether...

Just go to /Volumes and enter mv WINDOWS .WINDOWS

That will rename the drive to .WINDOWS and hide it from the desktop.

So open terminal. Enter "cd /Volumes"
Then enter ls to have it show you the current name of the drives in your mac. (It should show both your windows and mac partition names now).

The enter "mv CURRENTWINDOWSPARTITIONNAME .CURRENTWINDOWSPARTITIONNAME" (with CURRENTWINDOWSPARTITIONNAME being the actual name of the windows partition.)

This will add a "." to the drives name, which tells the Finder not to show it on the desktop.

To reverse the hiding, just do that again, but switch the file names around.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Once you change the name, to see the hidden files. You will need the -a option as in "ls -a".

Reaction score
It seems my windows partition is read only and I cannot hide it. Is there another way to go about doing this?

screenshot.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
hmm I just deleted mine of my desktop without thinking - dont do that cos it deletes the whole thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
actually it hasn't gone as in in Vista now - but it doesn't show up in my system preferences on Mac OS X. Strange

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Minasokoni said:
It seems my windows partition is read only and I cannot hide it. Is there another way to go about doing this?

From Windows, go into My Computer and go into the C: drive's properties. From there you can change the name.

Reaction score
Hiding Mac Partition

Don't perform, but understand the basics of fstab files and hiding Mac Partitions provided by MacGeekery:
http://www.macgeekery.com/gspot/2005-12/hiding_partitions

For some reason, it seems like Apple Bootcamp doesn't use or assign a UUID for Windows XP (or it could be I am using NTFS rather than FAT32).

However, it can still be identified by LABEL in an fstab.

So, here is what I did:
(1) launched Windows XP > authenticated user > Start > My Computer
(2) renamed the Local Disk to WinXP
(3) shutdown Windows XP, launch Mac OS X and authenticate
(4) Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal
(5) sudo > authenticate administrator
(6) emacs /etc/fstab (my fstab is blank)
(7) added the following line

LABEL=WinXP none ntfs ro,noauto

(8) save and exit (unfamiliar with emacs? save and exit: CTRL-X-S CTRL-X-C.... CTRL-X-S is "hold down CTRL, press X, press S, release CTRL")
(9) reboot Mac OS X and hopefully the volume labeled WinXP is no longer automounting.

I have no idea if "ntfs" is a valid token for fstab files, but I honestly have no need to mount this volume under Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Sorry, (5) and (6) needs to be combined, sudo would like to have a command specified:

(5 and 6) sudo emacs /etc/fstab > authenticate administrator (my fstab is blank)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.