How well does it work?

A

AppleofmyEye

I just ordered my first Mac, so I have a question...or two. First how well does it actually work to go from Windows to Mac. Is it difficult? Are they run at the same time? How well does it work if I send an email with a Mac file to a Windows computer? Do they work well with each other? Is it easy to convert files between the two? Are there many problems? Does running Windows on a Mac actually work that well? Thanks for all your help! I truly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
do this research before you purchse something
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are a lot of threads here on the Forums about all of your questions. They Dual Boot, like on a PC with say Wndows and Linux, One at a time. You have a boot manager and select the one you want to boot. Windows will run just the same as it does on any new PC on the intel macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
* How well does it work if I send an email with a Mac file to a Windows computer?

Email is a standard that is defined outside any operating system. There is no such thing as "Windows email" and "OS X email"

* Is it easy to convert files between the two?

You don't need to convert files, generally speaking. You just need to open them with the correct program.

Contrary to what Microsoft may tell you, the world of computing is not a set of completely incompatible systems. In fact, Windows is one of the most hostile toward other operating systems - you can generally get OS X, Linux, BSD etc to interoperate really well, but it takes work to make Windows jump through the same hoops.

It sounds as though you have the concept that Mac is a completely different computer system, requiring everything to be custom built for it. This was the case in the 80s, when each manufacturer defined their own standards. In this day and age, interoperability is pretty much a necessity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
AppleofmyEye said:
I just ordered my first Mac, so I have a question...or two. First how well does it actually work to go from Windows to Mac. Is it difficult? Are they run at the same time? How well does it work if I send an email with a Mac file to a Windows computer? Do they work well with each other? Is it easy to convert files between the two? Are there many problems? Does running Windows on a Mac actually work that well? Thanks for all your help! I truly appreciate it.

First off, Welcome to the forums :)

Secondly, learn to use the search button or you'll get a lot of crap from users here.

Thirdly, do this research before you buy the machine.

Now, to answer your questions:

-Windows to Mac
Through boot camp, you have to restart your machine, as they both run natively. No you can't switch immediately from one to another, you need to reboot. Then, you choose which partition to boot from. It's exactly like running Linux and Windows on a PC.

It's the same darn thing. there is no specific windows e-mail or mac e-mail, all html based.

-File Conversions
No major need to convert files, as long as you have the right program to convert the file.

-Windows on a Mac
I find that it's AMAZINGLY fast, faster than any other PC I've ever used. But, you'll find there's NO need for Windows other than gaming. In fact, I really don't use my Windows partition, and deleted it b/c I needed space on my OS X partition. But, if you REALLY enjoy Windows, it's worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.