Mac as a Server - What's Special?

N

nathano

In an effort to learn about computers, networks and OSes, I'm setting up my home network: One Mac, one Linux machine, one FreeBSD machine, and one Windows machine.

I've already decided which services will be offered by the latter three machines; the Linux machine will host web sites and e-mail, the BSD box will be for DHCP, DNS and database, and the Windows machine will have IIS and MSSQL. What server services makes the Mac stand out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
nathano said:
In an effort to learn about computers, networks and OSes, I'm setting up my home network: One Mac, one Linux machine, one FreeBSD machine, and one Windows machine.

I've already decided which services will be offered by the latter three machines; the Linux machine will host web sites and e-mail, the BSD box will be for DHCP, DNS and database, and the Windows machine will have IIS and MSSQL. What server services makes the Mac stand out?

At the heart, OS X is UNIX, or more specifically BSD. Pretty much whatever you can run on your other boxes you can run on a Mac. Apache, PHP, etc. Sounds like you have a sweet home setup there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

It's Unix, yes, but it includes a bunch of administration and setup tools that make it easier to set up all of the myriad services.

For example, it includes a nice GUI tool that lets you combine ordinary Unix tools (Samba, LDAP, Kerberos) to get something that works like Microsoft ActiveDirectory and is about as easy to set up and administer -- only based on standards that play nice and are well undestood.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.