PDA

View Full Version : selling my ibook need help

MacMania55
08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Hello I am going to show someone my iBook and he is most likely going to purchase it. I would like to back up all my documents and settings. Is there an easy way to do this in mac osX? I will be buying another mac. Or do I have to just burn everything seperately? Also what is the best way to erase everything completly? Fresh install i know can do that but is there a better way or program to completly wipe drive?

Thanks For All Your Help!

mynameis
08-06-2006, 10:49 AM
If you have .Mac, you can use backup. In thoery it will do exactly what you need, but I have had issues with it not restoring my data properly from the backup discs it makes.

To completely clear the drive, I would boot from the OS X disc, go to Disk Utility. Once there go select your main drive, go to the erase tab, click security options and select the 7 pass or 35? pass option, then erase it.

The 35 pass option will take awhile, I bet the 7 will be more than enough, unless you work for the CIA...

MacMania55
08-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Haha no I dont work for the CIA, thank you for your help that is very good info. I just now need away to backup I dont have .mac

MacMania55
08-06-2006, 02:38 PM
bumpsky I really need a good way Help please!!

coach_z
08-06-2006, 03:30 PM
search the forums for backup programs, there are many suggestions out there.

i use carboncopycloner when i backup up stuff.

when i sold my external hard drive not so long ago i believed i used the 15-pass, but i didnt have anything too sensitive on that drive. if i were selling my computer as a whole i would take the 2 or 3 days that it would take to run to write it 35 times
-chris