• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Refurbished iMac?

Reaction score
Hello. Im new here, and didnt quite know where to post this so here goes. Im new to the mac world; an avid pc user longing to make the switch to the mac os. The apple store has some great deals on refurbished items, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any major risks to buying an iMac from the apple refurbished store? What can I expect upon delivery?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
IIRC they have a one year warranty on em (and you can get extended apple care)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Well if you buy a refurbished iMac usually it will come in about 2-4 pieces. The screen is usually broken with fluid dripping everywhere! The powercord will be ripped and sliced. The computer most likely is scratched to the point where there is no more to scratch off. No im Just Kidding. APPLE REFURBISHED PRODUCTS ARE USUALLY PERFECT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I bought a refurbished iMac from my local Apple Store and i have no problems with it. The only problem I had was mine didnt come with the 1st restore disk. I called Apple and they shipped it to me for free. Took about 5 days.

Other than that everything works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
if you look on apples website it clearly states the refurb process that all products go through and in a few words it states "all products are like new, will work perfectly, will always work perfectly, have the same warrantees, but might have a small scratch but usually they wont"

-chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, you guys have been great. One more thing...I found another iMac, same specs, same price, but it said it was an "open box" item. I found it on macmall. What are the risks with buying an open box iMac as opposed to buying a refurbished one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.