• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Trading-up/grade soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to either trade-up or add to my mac-family soon and wanted to get some different perspectives, especially with Apple's new/updated products on the horizon.

I'm a graphic/web designer and at times heavily use Adobe and Macromedia products (with a growing need to browser check using Boot Camp or Parallels). I'm also getting into music authoring and my Powerbook is beginning to show it's limitations with it's smaller HDD and processing power. Aside from my user needs, my goal would be to rely on this group of computers for 3-4 years.

Anyways, here goes:

Scenario A
  1. Keep the Powerbook
  2. Invest in a mid-range Mac Pro (or newly discounted G5 Tower)
  3. 24" Display (probably Dell widescreen)

Scenario B
  1. Sell Powerbook
  2. Invest in a 15" Macbook Pro (assuming with Merom, 120-160GB HDD, etc)
  3. 160gig External 2.5" HDD (for portability)
  4. 24" Display
  5. ...Down the road, invest in a 20" iMac.

Scenario C

1. Sell Powerbook
  2. Invest in a Macbook (Black would be sweet if they can justify the price increase underneath the case; lets also assume they'll stick with the Core Duos to differentiate the MBs from MBPs with Merom)
  3. 160gig External 2.5" HDD
  4. 24" Display (would the MB onboard graphics be able to drive 1920x1200 res?)
  5. ...down the road, invest in a 20" iMac OR Mac Pro/G5 tower

Just in case you were wondering "why don't you add external storage to your Powerbook?", my efforts/troubles adding storage space are detailed here .

Thanks! Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Scenario B sounds the best to me for what you're doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As for your question in scenario c), yes the macbook can drive 1920x1200.

Graphics and Video Support

* Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory1
* Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 x 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Source: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

OP
slyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Good to know. Thanks Aptmunich!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.