PDA

View Full Version : Trading-up/grade soon

slyseeker
08-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to either trade-up or add to my mac-family soon and wanted to get some different perspectives, especially with Apple's new/updated products on the horizon.

I'm a graphic/web designer and at times heavily use Adobe and Macromedia products (with a growing need to browser check using Boot Camp or Parallels). I'm also getting into music authoring and my Powerbook is beginning to show it's limitations with it's smaller HDD and processing power. Aside from my user needs, my goal would be to rely on this group of computers for 3-4 years.

Anyways, here goes:

Scenario A

Keep the Powerbook
Invest in a mid-range Mac Pro (or newly discounted G5 Tower)
24" Display (probably Dell widescreen)

Scenario B

Sell Powerbook
Invest in a 15" Macbook Pro (assuming with Merom, 120-160GB HDD, etc)
160gig External 2.5" HDD (for portability)
24" Display
...Down the road, invest in a 20" iMac.

Scenario C

Sell Powerbook
Invest in a Macbook (Black would be sweet if they can justify the price increase underneath the case; lets also assume they'll stick with the Core Duos to differentiate the MBs from MBPs with Merom)
160gig External 2.5" HDD
24" Display (would the MB onboard graphics be able to drive 1920x1200 res?)
...down the road, invest in a 20" iMac OR Mac Pro/G5 tower

Just in case you were wondering "why don't you add external storage to your Powerbook?", my efforts/troubles adding storage space are detailed here (http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39181) .

Thanks! Jeff

karudzo
08-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Scenario B sounds the best to me for what you're doing.

Aptmunich
08-04-2006, 07:49 AM
As for your question in scenario c), yes the macbook can drive 1920x1200.

Graphics and Video Support

* Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory1
* Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 x 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Source: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

slyseeker
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Good to know. Thanks Aptmunich!