Help 'Switching'

N

NashTax

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I'm new here, just wanted to introduce myself before I go on with my questions. :p

Currently, I'm using a Windows based system, I've been using Windows since 1999. I started with Windows 95. I've had alot of problems with my computers, I spend alot trying to protect it but yetit still get infected. I would like to switch from a Windows based system to a Macintosh based system. I'm not sure why though, this is why I'm here, can you please tell me the good points of the Macintosh and the bad points. I play alot of computer games too so this is the only problem thats stoping my ordering a Mac.

If this topic is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

- NashTax :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Well the main reason I switched to a Mac was because I was taking a movie class at the college and I liked the software on it. I purchased my first Mac (iMac G5) with the intent to use it solely as a music, audio, and photo production tool, however the OS grew on me and I found it more secure, faster, cleaner, and quite frankly, a LOT nicer. I however, still own a gaming PC that I continue to put a lot of money in to keep virus-free, spyware-free, and running on par with my iMac. As tough as it is, I have to fuel my gaming addiction some how.

What you have to as yourself is:
-Do I want a Mac and I am willing to spend the money to get a new computer?
-What do I need one for?
-What will I be doing on my computer that needs or would be more convenient with a Mac?
-How will I play games? (If you get a good intel Mac, you'll be fine with Boot Camp or Parallels)
and -Am I willing to make the switch and leave XP/2K behind and come to OS X

And when you think about this and answer the questions, you'll know you are ready to switch to a better OS :)

OP
N

NashTax

Hi There,

Thankyou for your reply. I own alot of websites on the web, I do alot of work with them and really busy. I wanted a Mac so it can be a 'work' computer in a way.

I would run the odd games on the computer though so when I get bored I can jump into a game without being able to connect to a new computer / new connection.

I would invest the money t buy a Mac, my thoughts are strong on the switch at the momment, I'm up and down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
What games do you play? (just wondering, seeing if there are mac versions avaliable) Boot Camp is always an option.

OP
N

NashTax

I play Battlefield 2 Counter-Strike Source (CSS), World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike 1.6 and CZ.

That's about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
NashTax said:
I play Battlefield 2 Counter-Strike Source (CSS), World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike 1.6 and CZ.

That's about it.

Yeah, get the new Macbook Pro. 256mb of onboard dedicated vram. Anything else and you won't be happy with the way that BF2 or CSS plays. Get the MBP with bootcamp and a copy of XP home edition and you're set.

Get 2 gigs of ram. You can get the ram cheaper from places like newegg.com. Popping in the memory on the MBP is a snap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
i have no doubts about switching because i only play console games.

exept for rollercoaster tycoon and the sims. which both come in mac versions.

soo i cannot WAIT until christmsa to get my hands on a brand new WHITE 2.0gHz - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD MacBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
bishopazrael said:
Anything else and you won't be happy with the way that BF2 or CSS plays.

CSS would be fine on the 128MB version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
NashTax said:
Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I'm new here, just wanted to introduce myself before I go on with my questions. :p

Currently, I'm using a Windows based system, I've been using Windows since 1999. I started with Windows 95. I've had alot of problems with my computers, I spend alot trying to protect it but yetit still get infected. I would like to switch from a Windows based system to a Macintosh based system. I'm not sure why though, this is why I'm here, can you please tell me the good points of the Macintosh and the bad points. I play alot of computer games too so this is the only problem thats stoping my ordering a Mac.

If this topic is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

- NashTax :headphone

Welcome to the forums NashTax.

I switched about a year ago, and these are some of the reasons...

1. There is no real worry about viruses and spyware at present.

2. I am a rich internet application developer, and OS X is the perfect environment for this kind of work. It's like working on a linux machine, with all of the advantages of a Mac. :)

3. I wanted to start editing home movies that had been sitting in my closet on DV tapes, and video is one of the Mac's fortes.

4. I also do graphic design work, and again, this is one of the Mac's strengths.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
bishopazrael said:
Yeah, get the new Macbook Pro. 256mb of onboard dedicated vram. Anything else and you won't be happy with the way that BF2 or CSS plays. Get the MBP with bootcamp and a copy of XP home edition and you're set.

Get 2 gigs of ram. You can get the ram cheaper from places like newegg.com. Popping in the memory on the MBP is a snap.

This is very true. If playing games like BF2 is important to you, you don't want to get anything less than a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
There are so many, thousands of points to consider.

Basic difference is in Software.
You basically are fed up with viruses. Other than that, layout what software you use. See if there are mac versions. If not, fret not. You can always use Windows on your mac through Parallels or Boot Camp. The latter allows you to boot into a windows partition on your hard drive. The trouble here is, you'll be faced with all the virus trouble again. So your best bet is to find software that runs natively on Mac.

As for gaming, you'll want windows anyway. Or a console. And for that, you'll need a safe system. I personally keep a windows machine squeaky clean by using

- TuneUp Utitlities 2006
- AVG Antivirus Free Edition
- Windows native firewall

Never had problems.

See also http://www.kamu.ch/switch/index.php?page=cat&catid=1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Just thought i would backup Yogi here and say Tuneup Utilities 2006 is a great app for keeping a windows machine running smoothly (as smoothly as they do)

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.