• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

[HELP] Do you live in New York ? question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
I am flying through new york - Newark - to get to toronto on Sunday, tomorrow.

i was planning on buying a Macbook, but in canada with Taxes, i would could save buying it in the U.S

Prices

CAD (no taxes)
1.8 $1,249.00 --> US $1084.39 USD
2.0w $1,449.00 --> US $1258.03 USD
2.0b $1,649.00 --> US $1431.67 USD

Now the taxes are what kill yeah %15.

CAD (taxes included)

1.8 $1,436.95 --> US $1247.57 USD --> US Cost $1,099.00 --> Diff $148.57
2.0w $1,666.35 --> US $1446.74 USD --> US Cost $1,299.00 --> Diff $147.47
2.0b $1,896.35--> US $1646.42 USD --> US Cost $1,499.00 --> Diff $147.42

I was thinking since i have a 2 hour stop over in New York icould run to an apple store between flights and save my self about $150 (minus taxi cost..)

But i am having trouble locating how far Newark airpoirt is from an apple store...

some places say it can take from 20-60mins to get from Newark airport to downtown manhattan, thas a chance i cant really take..

So does anyone know where the closest apple store may be to Newark airport?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Mathiau said:
i have a 2 hour stop over in New York icould run to an apple store between flights and save my self about $150 (minus taxi cost..)
so after you pay for taxis... you are only goin to save like maybe $50??
There are much better deals online and at other retailers here in the states.
Sounds like your plan is going to be more hassles than its worth to save less than $100.

OP
Mathiau
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, i was thinking of that, thing is i am in Costa Rica, where the prices are even higher and if i order online i have to pay duties and taxes and all that fun stuff to get it down here.

Yahoo maps is awsome though, didnt know you could do a to-from search and find out distance and time.

i guess there is the issues of how long it would take me to go back through customs and re-check in and all that fun stuff to save $50 over all after the taxi's as it is about 20mins to the closest store - about 20 miles.

I could switch my flight to give me a 4 hour wait over in newark, go out, get the lappy, have some food, take some pics, but then iguess more money spent on doing other things.

the one good thing is i dont have alot of luggage, my small camera bag, and a small carry on for clothes.

argh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Newark is in New Jersey, not New York and you will have to pay sales tax in NJ and NY

Reaction score
trpmonkey41 is correct. your best bet would be the one in Newark, actually just outside of it in Short Hills. if you go into the city, besides the cab ride costing so much, you might not make it back for an international flight if you only have a couple of hours. Newark International security can be a major pain in the butt.

OP
Mathiau
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dam, didnt know they had taxes!

guess i will play it safe and pay the extra.

i am now trying to convince myself to wait until X-mas when i am back in toronto to get the macbook, but because of a delay in my flight - i was supposed to leave friday, but 3/4 down the run way for take off something flew into the left engine and killed it!

but i lived, is that now my vacation will be until the 11th, so i can see if Job's may annouce when the core 2 duo will be put into macbooks, if not mention of it i will just buy it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
closest apple store to newark airport is short hills (the one I use) it takes 20-40 minutes to get there.

OP
Mathiau
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, i only got just a onehour stop now as i moved my flight to tomorrow, guess i shall just get it in toronto , depending on what Job's says on the 7/6th or 9th :D

OP
Mathiau
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i managed to hold myself off until Dec. when i am back in toronto to see whatis around :) but not spending that money i almost droped $1400 on a new canon 300mm lense for my 20D, MUST FIGHT THE URGEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.