The true Drag and Drop.

I

iLoki

Well I was playing around on my Mac last night and I accidentally discovered something I have never seen mentioned, “Drag and Drop”.
I was surfing around the web in Safari when for some reason I moved the mouse as I was clicking on an image, paused for a second, did I see that? Did the image move? Hang on, you mean to tell me I can actually just drag an image from a website and drop it into a finder window or the desktop! So I thought that was pretty neat, then I started to wonder….I opened PhotoShop, dragged and image from a website onto the blank canvas and bam! The image was in PhotoShop, even on a new layer!

This thing is amazing; I love it more and more each and every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
This is a great feature! You can even drag and drop images from websites that block the ability to right-click and download the image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
drag and drop is so intuitive - I'm glad it's in OSX :)

OP
X

Xshare

Hate to spoil the mac-party, but that can be done just the same in windows too. Don't get me wrong, I am so EXCITED for August 3rd (my macbook!!!), but that feature is not mac-only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Xshare said:
Hate to spoil the mac-party, but that can be done just the same in windows too. Don't get me wrong, I am so EXCITED for August 3rd (my macbook!!!), but that feature is not mac-only.

Of course! XP Pro I know has it, I use it at work. I'm glad MS wised up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
XP Home edition definitly didnt. This was a happy trick that i also thought was Mac OSX exclusive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
don't forget to use exposé with drag and drop. extremely useful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Xshare said:
Hate to spoil the mac-party, but that can be done just the same in windows too.
Yeah, but on the Mac you can hold the image over a folder to open that folder, and then repeat over and over until you get it where you want it, not just drop it onto the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
oh just wait until you accidentally drag a picture from your desktop, or finder, onto your main page in safari!!!!!

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
coach_z said:
oh just wait until you accidentally drag a picture from your desktop, or finder, onto your main page in safari!!!!!

-chris

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO THAT????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It opens the image in safari...

You can also drag items onto the icons in your dock to open them, apps or folders into the toolbar of your finder windows and you can copy/paste folder & file names into text/html documents, which I find extremely handy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Sweet, I did not know about this until now.
Time to experiement with this feature. :)

OP
K

Katie

I had no idea of this feature or that Windows XP Pro even had it! good to know... sounds excellent.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
One great drag and drop feature that is available in OS X and KDE but not windows- highlight some text, drag it into a finder (or konqueror in kde) window, and it will create a new text document in that folder with the text that was dragged into the window. I discovered this when I was reading a pdf document with some code in it. I just highlighted the code, dragged it into some folder, and ran it. Very convinient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
RChickenMan said:
One great drag and drop feature that is available in OS X and KDE but not windows- highlight some text, drag it into a finder (or konqueror in kde) window, and it will create a new text document in that folder with the text that was dragged into the window. I discovered this when I was reading a pdf document with some code in it. I just highlighted the code, dragged it into some folder, and ran it. Very convinient.

Wow, that's a cool feature. Thanks for the tip.

OP
X

Xshare

I just tested on Windows XP home. Success. It does work on windows XP home. And while you can't do the thing with the folders (that sounds awesome, I can't wait for my macbook) you can do the thing with dragging to applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
You can do the folder thing in XP home, if you have the folder open in the task bar just hover it over for a few seconds and the folder will restore to its normal size and you drop it in, or hold it over the start button, wait for it to open then put in my documents etc.

Its been on XP Home for ages, its the way I always have put images into photoshop. The irony is that MS Fans always used the lack of drag and drop in OS9 as the reason Macs are bad, glad they have it now, I assumed they still didnt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I had no idea I could that. Isn't it great how you OSX suprises you even when you think you know it.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
OS X allows MUCH more freedom in navigating the file system via drag-and-drop. In XP, I can easily drag a file to a location that is already open, or to somewhere such as my documents where there is a shortcut in the start menu. However, in OS X, regardless of what I am doing, I can start by dragging a file, holding it over the link to Macintosh HD, it will open that, and I can continue navigating the file system by holding the item being dragged over folders and such, until I get to where I want, and finally release the mouse button. I am often very fustrated in XP at the lack of ability to do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.