• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Strange DVD Burning Issue

S

Shakermaker

Here's something strange.
Using DVDBackup, DVDsOneX, DVD Imager, then Toast, I can take the movie off a DVD and burn it fine - without the menus.
Also, I was able to make a perfect 1:1 DVD copy of movies that were DVD-5 or under 4.7 GB.

I recently tried to make a 1:1 copy of a movie (after re-installing a fresh copy of 10.3), and now they don't play - the menus are all choppy looking and the movie won't play...they burn with no issue. Its not a problem with Macrovision or anything like that because I did it before with a movie I owned.

I am using Toast 6.

Anyone else had this problem?

OP
W

Wen

Shakermaker said:
Here's something strange.
Using DVDBackup, DVDsOneX, DVD Imager, then Toast, I can take the movie off a DVD and burn it fine - without the menus.
Also, I was able to make a perfect 1:1 DVD copy of movies that were DVD-5 or under 4.7 GB.

I recently tried to make a 1:1 copy of a movie (after re-installing a fresh copy of 10.3), and now they don't play - the menus are all choppy looking and the movie won't play...they burn with no issue. Its not a problem with Macrovision or anything like that because I did it before with a movie I owned.

I am using Toast 6.

Anyone else had this problem?

I think I have the same problem using toast 6. None of the DVD's I've burned start working in my dvd-player. When I open them in my G4, they won't play automatically, but they do play when I select, open with dvd-player.
I think it's a problem with the way Toast 6 burns video files. Do you burn your DVD's in the video mode or in the data mode?

OP
S

Shakermaker

Wen said:
I think I have the same problem using toast 6. None of the DVD's I've burned start working in my dvd-player. When I open them in my G4, they won't play automatically, but they do play when I select, open with dvd-player.
I think it's a problem with the way Toast 6 burns video files. Do you burn your DVD's in the video mode or in the data mode?

I burn movies in Image Mode. I make an image of the DVD after using DVD2oneX. then burn the image.

When I do a straight DVD copy in Toast 6, everything gets screwed up somehow...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.