What software/hardware do you love?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
I got one of those credit gift cards for xmas and havn't used it yet, now i have to so the value doesn't get subtracted each mounth. Since I got a new Imac about a mounth ago I figure I should just buy a few accesories for it. I am not sure what I should get though. So if you have any software/hardware accesories that you love I would love to hear about them. I have a $100 to spend.

I am looking for any programs you could not live without or wires and connectors. Anything that can be connected to the mac. I already have External Hard drives and speakers.

Thanks in Advance :miner:

Reaction score
Quicksilver (application switcher) http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ (free)
Mighty Mouse (apple just came out with a bluetooth wireless version)
Maxtor 500GB External fw400/800/usb
Rapidweaver (realmacsoftware.com) web site creater. (39.99 i think)
Final Cut Studio (video editing) ($1299)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I like my Hammer. Its one of my favorite peices of hardware. I also got this really cool screwdriver for christmas that has like 10 different retractable heads.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
I would get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse but i've read that if you need to change settings while booting up or use bootcamp you also have to have a wired. Has this been corrected or is it still true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
memory ugrade to speed your computer up... it would help if you let us know what mac you purchased. If it's a MacBook, then maybe you want to think about a bigger HDD or an external HDD... Mighty Mouse is cool, but a little expensive for me, i'm just using my Logitech 2.4ghz wireless portable, which has a USB small reciever that connects to the back of the mouse for storage... other than that, what are you using your computer for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Love my 13" MacBook. Couldn't live without my 8-button Logitech MX510 mouse.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kuturagi said:
it would help if you let us know what mac you purchased. If it's a MacBook, other than that, what are you using your computer for?

I had that in my original post and deleted it accidently :eek:neye: oops.

I have a 20" Intel Imac 250 gig hard drive and 1.5 gb Ram, 256 mb vcard. I am a college student and mainly use it for music recording, light photo and video editing. Of course I use it to search the web and use ILife. I have a Windows laptop for school work so I have office on that already, and almost all programs i need for school are not mac compatable (**** engineering programs).

I have thought about parallels, Do you think it is worth it, does it work well? I have a Xp Disk around already. Most importantly will it run smoothly on 1.5 gigs of ram?

I am really interested in what 3rd party apps people are using that may not be freeware, but make the mac life even easier and more enjoyable than it already is. Thanks for the replys (I found the hammer post to be very imformative :yinyang: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Wow, lets see

1. Bluephone elite. I have the Sony w810 cell phone. Couldnt live without BPE.
2. CoreDuoTemp. Search this out online. Tells you your core temp.
3. Quicksilver. Try this app, and I swear you'll never go back again. I have reduced my dock to like 8 icons total because I'm so used to switching via QS.
4. Adium. All in one IM .. nuff said.
5. I would say Shapeshifter but its not universal yet :(
6. Azureus. Best BT client for the Mac. (personal opinion there)
7. Toast for dvd/ cd burning. Much better than the finder options.
8. Not an app, but a website. www.iconfactory.com I use this place to get all sorts of different icons to change my looks. Where else can you find great icons for Battlestar Galactica?
9. iWork. Honestly if you dont need office, iwork is a great replacment. Anyone can design a great looking page in like 3 seconds flat.
10. Mactheripper/ Handbrake best solution ever for backing up your dvd's and then putting them on your lappy. Great if you travel alot.
11. Almost forgot this one! USB Overdrive. Great free app that lets you take FULL advantage of your 18 button Logitech mouse! Or anything else for that matter. Its a great proggie.

Thats my list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
A lot of the stuff listed is free...

I'd spend it on either:

- External Firewire Hard drive or
- Logitech MX1000 and a nice *wired* keyboard or
- Put it towards an iPod or
- More RAM

Peace.

Reaction score
A turntable to put under your mac :) Just got one and love it. Now I can watch my DVD's from the bed *yay*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Here is some indispensible software:

1) MenuMeters - puts CPU meters, Internet bandwidth meters, disk meters, etc. on your menu bar, where they are always visible. Couldn't live without it.
2) PathFinder - a hugely superior file manager and even desktop (if you like). Leaves poor old Finder in its dust
3) iClock - The day, the date and the year all in your menu bar, in your choice of colors, plus dozen of other useful tools.
4) iGlasses - Got an iSight camera? Don't be without iGlasses. It is the "preferences panel" that Apple seems to have forgotten to give us for the iSight. You can control a vast range of parameters with respect to the image quality and speed, plus many clever effects as well.

Reaction score
I dont see the attraction of quicksilver. I tried it out and uninstalled. I tried searching for some obscure stuff and it never found it, yet finder did. Maybe I wasnt using it right.

I just installed menumeter, pretty cool app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.