Newby needs some help

H

Hurst01

Hello Guys,

I just found this forum and signed up for posts. First of all, I am computer illiterate. I can do a fair amount of internet searching, emailing and such. The computer facinates me. I spend many hours on a couple of different forums about motorcycles and street rods. I have inherited several Macs over the years from my son. He spends a fortune and then gets an upgrade every so often. I get his hand-me-downs.
Now for my problem. I have a G4 Cube 450 MHz with 1.06 SDRAM running OSX 10.4.7. It has a 40 Gig HD that is partitioned with OSX and OS9. Lately, I can't get the computer to wake up. It gets a colorful "screen-saver" and stays like that. I always have to "Force" shut-down and restart, which is a major pain, especially when I am in a hurry. I never shut down the computer, I just let it go into sleep mode.
I have Techtool Pro 4 installed with first aid drive. I have completed every diagnostic that I can think of, including optimization, which took a looooooong time.
I used to crash my old G3 on a regular basis while trying to learn. My son said there was no way to do what I was doing. After several trips and quite a few $$$$$$ for repairs, I stumbled across Techtool Pro3 which was a life saver. Since then, I haven't had to pay out the big bucks (to me anyhow) for repairs. After going to OSX 10.3, I had to get the Techtool Pro4.
If anyone can give me an idea as to how to cure this wake up problem I would appreciate it. For anyone that will respond, talk to me like I am stupid, but easy on the abuse.
Thanks, Ed

OP
I

Imac_Zak

Im not pro, but if i was having major issues with my mac I would just reformat it...back up anything that is important and reinstall the OS...I hope your son gave you the OS disk....If that doesn't work...I don't know what to do...im sure some pro's will chime in any minute.

OP
H

Hurst01

I am kind of leary about reformating. Like I said, I am computer illiterate.

Ed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.