• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ram...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
I know Mac has their own hardware configurations which make the Mac....A Mac! Well, has anybody tried to put regular old PC ram, like Corsair, Ultra, or anything like that in a Mac? The same configuration ofcorse like DDR2 PC5300. But you know what I mean. Do you know what would happen? :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Well, as long as its the right type, I shouldn't see why. Ram isn't specifically manufactured for mac or pc.

OP
PumpkinLand
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Yeah, I tried looking on sites such as Newegg and TigerDirect. And if you look at the specs for the Macbook Pro, Macbook basically any of the new products they're using a PC5300. Which, I'm guessing is a specific type only for Macs. If you use a less type of ram such as PC4700 I don't know if it would hurt at all. It's a slower speed but not by much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Um I think it has to be fast speed or it may not work...

But as for your PC ram question, no problem there.. I actually took out ram from my dead PC and stuck it in my mac and have had no issues whatsoever..

One more thing, shouldn't this topic be moved to the other hardware section?

D

DeathToPCs

You can put PC4200 in a MacBook and it will run, but it wont get its pull potential. Plus it will make it run hotter and you will run into some problems. I had it in mine for a week and had issues. Returned it and got PC5300 no more problems now like I had before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
Apple doesn't use special Apple ram. Any piece of ram will work as long as it meets the specs required for the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
all ram is the same there is no apple specific ram.

regarding putting slower ram in your book that will be a bad thing because it will make all your 5300 sticks run at 4700 when you put it in there. it will be significantly slower
-chris

OP
PumpkinLand
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Oh, So basically the RAM they sell at Apples store is just a rip-off?

Also, this is proof to PC users who say 'You can't upgrade a Mac'.

D

DeathToPCs

I used to have 4700 ram in my MacBook and now have 5300 in it. It doesnt run slower with the 5300 in it. Actually it runs faster then the 4700 did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
PumpkinLand said:

They do guaranty it to work but essentially, yes.
Apple charges way too much for RAM in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
PumpkinLand said:

Also, this is proof to PC users who say 'You can't upgrade a Mac'.

I wouldn't say Apple RAM is a "rip-off", but it is a bit expensive. I got 1gb of Patriot RAM at Newegg and it works perfectly.

And while, technically, you can upgrade the RAM on Macs, you can't upgrade much else. So, compared to a normal PC, we can't upgrade that much. (unless you get a PowerMac, but that's more than most of us need)

OP
PumpkinLand
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Yeah I ment more down the lines of putting in a new HD if the one it came with fried. Ofcorse I'd only change parts like that after my warrenty if gone.

Reaction score
PumpkinLand said:
Yeah I ment more down the lines of putting in a new HD if the one it came with fried. Ofcorse I'd only change parts like that after my warrenty if gone.

Depends on your particular system, but like in mine which is a PM 2.0 G5 you most certainly can upgrade it. I stuck a second hard drive in the first month and a month or two later upgraded the graphics card in order to use a 30" monitor. The second week i had it i added 4 gigs of Corsair ram, all done by myself with no problems...

OP
PumpkinLand
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
That....Computers....GOD!!! I wish I had the money to buy something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
PumpkinLand said:

other than the power mac, the only other mac that you can replace the hd on is the macbook. if you take out the battery i think it's sitting right there and has straps to pull it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.