• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How do I turn this thing on?

C

ChangedSoul

Ok, heres the story. I got an IMAC G3 from my father inlaw. He said it was booting up but then shuting off in a few minutes. He gave it to me. I tried to turn it on and got nothing at all to happen. Not even a lit light on the front. I took it to an apple store and they got it to at least show a lit light on the front, but it still didnt boot. I bring it back home, and again I CANNOT even get it to show a lit light on the front.

I am new to Apple and I know the Mac has a problem, but I should at least begetting a lit light on the front. I Push the power button, push and hold the power button, Hold the power button during plugging it in and then Push the power button again. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Is there some special way to turn these G3's on? Do I Just push and release the power button, or do I push and hold for a few secs and then release?

I read that its possible my father inlaw might have tried to install OS X without updating the firmware, and I am trying to fix this issue, but I cant even get it to look like its getting power. I have tried many power cords and outlets. Am I trying to turn this thing on right? I know I am a noob to apple, but I cant see Apple making the power on not normal to every other electronic device known to man.

Please help me with this.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
sounds like the computer is just plain broken to me...could be a firmware issue i'd ask the father inlaw about what he did to it and then delve into the ideas of a bad power supply, bad switch, bad power cord
-chris

OP
C

ChangedSoul

See thats just it. When my Father inlaw had it, he was able to use it for a while and then it would shut off. When I got it, I wasnt even able to turn it on. Then I took it to an Apple store, and as far as I seen they just pluged it in like I did, and he was able to turn it on. I got it back home and I could not get it to come on. So I dont know if Im just plain stupid and dont know how to power it up or what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Don't forget to make sure that the outlet (well actually I would hope that he's using a surge protector of some sort) is working.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like Karudzo suggested try another outlet. The one you may be trying to use could be bad.

OP
C

ChangedSoul

I have tried three outlets and three power cords. Please just to ease my mind on not knowing how to power up a mac, I do just press the button and release? Or do I hold for a few secs and release?

I cannot figure out why both my father inlaw and the guy at the Apple store were able to power it up, and I cannot.

Only thing I can think of is the power up at the apple store was a freak thing maybe due to heat from the sun during the drive to the store.

I know I sound stupid, but I am extreamly noob to mac. This is the first I have ever touched, lol(and its broke :)) Am I trying to power it up the right way? If I am then I can move on to try and figrue out why its not powering up. If I am not powering it up right, then that would explain why I cant power it up, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is really really simple, you push the power button, it should come on, if not it's broken. Macs are not some special machines that requires a secret handshake-password to turn on (logging in may be another story), they are just computers, much like a Dell, Gateway or HP. The Mac you have is broken, it could be the power supply, it could be the board, who knows. If your enterprising enough you can open it up and mess with it, if not, toss it.

OP
C

ChangedSoul

Thanks, thats all I needed. Woohoo!!!! I have a broke mac. Now the fun begins, trying to fix it :). Who knows, if I get it working and I like it, I may convert from PC to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There were lots of problems with the analog boards on some iMac G3's. Google for more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.