quark 6 and collect for output

S

sgs

Just logging on to the forum for the first time...

I have installed Quark6 and was trying to do a Collect for Output. I get the message "The selected project cannot be collected in this folder because a file with that name already exists in this location (duh!! (sgs comment!)). Please save the project with a different file name or in a different location."

I never got this message with Quark 5 or lower and was able to just collect file, fonts, graphics in a neat little folder.

Of course, I do not have a user manual.

Can anyone tell me what this is all about?!?

Thanks!

OP
S

SpikeMHP

It's yet another little reason that causes me to hate Quark 6 with a passion.
Long live 5!

OP
P

PowerbookG417

if you read the error message threw...it tells your what to do...the project your tryin to collect the file already exsits..make a new folder on your desktop and choose to save your output file in there...it will also bring over for you your images, your fonts and anything else you told it to collect, it will also bring over a copy of the original file thats its being collected from...thast why you get this message its tryin to copy the file your working on back into that folder !

OP
S

SpikeMHP

PowerbookG417 said:
if you read the error message threw...it tells your what to do...the project your tryin to collect the file already exsits..make a new folder on your desktop and choose to save your output file in there...it will also bring over for you your images, your fonts and anything else you told it to collect, it will also bring over a copy of the original file thats its being collected from...thast why you get this message its tryin to copy the file your working on back into that folder !

But in previous versions of Quark it gave you the option to overwrite said file. Quark 6 Is just being awkward.

OP
S

Shannon

Quark 6 isn't just awkward... it's glitchey (is that a word?).

I kept getting a message saying that I couldn't save my file (when all I was doing was a plain old save). There seems to be a conflict between Quark 6 and Norton Antivirus. I turned off Norton Antivirus and all of a sudden... I can save my files again!!!

When doing a collect for output I always collect to my desktop and then move it back on to the server after. It's the only way it seems to work.

Another glitch... What's with the way it makes PDFs now??? It's a real pain when you need to make one to specific magazine specs. Forget the export to PDF and go for the save as Postscript, then run it through Distiller at the proper specs.

Shannon

SpikeMHP said:
But in previous versions of Quark it gave you the option to overwrite said file. Quark 6 Is just being awkward.

OP
S

Shannon

OK, how about this:

When you do the collect, near the bottom of the window, there are options as to what to save... one of them is document (the others are linked pictures, embedded pictures, screen fonts, printer fonts and color profiles) Don't check the document one. That way, you do the collect but keep the original document. If you are trying to do the collect to a different folder, then do a Save As to the new folder.

Shannon

OP
B

bonniek

collecting for output

This drives me crazy with 6. Also, after you collect for output, it does not link the pictures to the picture folder. They are still linked to the original place they came from.

The only way around this, that I can figure out, is to save it down to 5 and collect for output in 5. Then I can open it in 6 and and all the pictures will be linked to the picture folder, so I can re-size, etc.

Hoping to switch to In-Design real soon!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.