A vexing problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
...that someone can probably fix very easily. Just not me. Here's the rundown.

I am trying to do what is described in this tutorial . I've installed DarwinPorts but am stuck and installing the Esound Daemon. Here's what I get when I try to install:

---> Configuring audiofile
Error: Target com.apple.configure returned: configure failure: shell command "cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports_audio_audiofile/work/audiofile-0.2.6" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local" returned error 1
Command output: checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: audiofile automake autoconf libtool
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Status 1 encountered during processing.

I checked some other forums & sites and found that I might not have Developer Tools installed. So I installed the pkg files Applications/Installers/Xcode Tools/Packages - Developer Tools and, when that didn't seem to work, gcc4.0.

But I still get that same error. It's like the installations didn't take. I can't get the terminal to recognize GCC anywhere.

I'm using 10.4, have temporarily granted my user account administrative rights (in order to use sudo), and have only installed (thus far) DarwinPorts, DeveloperTools.pkg, and gcc4.0.pkg.

This is driving me bonkers....someone please help. For the record, my Unix experience is highly limited. (I know enough to get this tutorial done, or so I thought, until this problem popped up.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
If you go under your root directory, do you see a folder called Developer and then Applications under that?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
I see it. Several folders, Interface Builder, and XCode.

Reaction score
If you downloaded Xcode, use the main installer on the .dmg. Don't try to install each package separately. This way you get all the libraries, the X11 SDK, and everything else needed to compile from DarwinPorts and/or Fink. You need to install everything except maybe WebObjects.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.