Backup data to CD via the command line

G

gatorparrots

Here is how to create a 100MB drive image, backup data to it, and then burn it onto a CD (directly in the commandline, with only the built-in tools). One possible application: This could be easily modified and incorporated into a script that will backup your Entourage mail databases every week, good for up to six uses (6x100MB) depending on the size of your mail data...

hdiutil create -fs HFS+ -volname Backup -size 100m ~/Desktop/backup.dmg
hdiutil mount ~/Desktop/backup.dmg
ditto -rsrc -V ~/Desktop/datatobackup /Volumes/Backup >> /Volumes/Backup/backup.log
hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Backup
hdiutil burn ~/Desktop/backup.dmg -noverifyburn -noeject

It will prompt you for a disc, insert one and it will burn your disc:
Code:
Please insert a disc: 
Starting
Initializing
Saving temporary image
Opening session
Writing track
Finishing writing

OP
G

gatorparrots

Here is a script to backup the Entourage mail database to a CD. I have mine as a cron task that runs every Friday before I leave work.
The CD tray opens at the set time as if to say "Feed me"!
Simply insert a CD and off it goes! Ahh, the power of Mac OS X.

Please note that this script requires fileutils to be installed. The -h in du -sh is for Human readable, meaning it will return the results in megabytes.
A pre-compiled binary can be obtained here:
tp://homepage.mac.com/rgriff/file.html Perforce Software | Development Tools For Innovation at Scale
or fink install fileutils works for those with using the fink pagackage manager.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#This script will backup your Entourage mail database to a CD

username="`who | fgrep console | awk '{ print $1 }'`"
if [ "$username" = "" ]; then
    echo "No one logged in via GUI (console)" >&2
    exit 1
fi
userhome="`eval echo ~$username`"date=`date +%Y.%m.%d`
size=`/usr/local/bin/du -sh "/Users/$username/Documents/Microsoft User Data" | awk ' { print $1 } '`

#Quit Entourage and give it time to write its database to disk
/usr/bin/osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell Application "Microsoft Entourage" to quit'
/bin/sleep 4

/usr/bin/hdiutil create -fs HFS+ -volname Backup-$date -size $size /Users/$username/Desktop/backup.dmg
/usr/bin/hdiutil mount $userhome/Desktop/backup.dmg
/usr/sbin/disktool -r
echo $date >> /Volumes/Backup-$date/backup.log
/usr/bin/ditto -rsrc -V "$userhome/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office X Identities/Main Identity/" /Volumes/Backup-$date/ >> /Volumes/Backup-$date/backup.log
/usr/bin/hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Backup-$date
/usr/bin/hdiutil burn "$userhome/Desktop/backup.dmg" -noverifyburn -noeject

#Clean up and relaunch Entourage
/bin/rm -f $userhome/Desktop/backup.dmg
/usr/sbin/disktool -r
/usr/bin/osascript -l AppleScript -e 'launch Application "Microsoft Entourage"'

This works very well for those of us with tray-loading drives, as the opening tray is probably sufficient reminder to insert a blank disc.
Those with slot-loading drives should probably add this line before the 'burn' command:
osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell Application "Finder" to activate & speak "Please insert a blank CD-R disc."'

OP
L

Liquidphyre

disktool

I am trying to write a script my self which is similar to your own however I think I need to understand the disktool functions a little more. like what kind of functions I can preform with it or if you know of some documentation that I can get a hold of it would help greatly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.