Problem with Verizon DSL and Airport

M

Moira

I recently switched my ISP from Time Warner cable/road runner to Verizon DSL. Verizon sent me a modem and CD to get set up, but I had some problems because I was trying to connect my iBook through Airport (with the Ethernet connecting the Airport Express base station and the Westell modem, as I did with my cable modem) and ended up being talked through the process over the phone. The woman had me turn off airport and connect the modem directly to the computer to initially get started. (It took a long time). Then she said I could power down the modem, connect airport and should be good to go. Well, it didn't work out that way.

When I connect the the modem and the airport base satation I get a green light on the base station and the icon shows I'm connected to my network, but I can't connect to the server. I can still connect wirelessly with my cable modem (I haven't cancelled that service yet 'cause I want to be sure this is going to work wirelessly for me) but to connect using DSL I have to turn airport off and connect the ibook directly to the modem.

When I called Verizon about this they said that I needed to talk to Apple. I've looked at Apple support documents and tried some things (mostly powering down the modem and the base station) but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.