small graphics business

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm trying to start a small business that makes and prints graphicy stuff like posters, calling cards, etc. My budget is roughly around $5700, and a third of the money is dedicated to a really good printer. So 1/3 would go to buying a fast computer.

I've been using the PC for a looong time and quite reluctant to shift to Mac. But people say it's the best OS that could handle graphics well, so I'll be making the big shift soon. I'm actually excited. Heheh.

I've decided on an iMac G5 (20-inch) and give it an additional 1Gb memory...

Here are my questions:

1. How hard (or easy) is it for the typical user to get used to the Mac interface? How long do you think it would take to get used to it?

2. Is my decision for an iMac and additional 1gb memory right for my kind of business? Is it enough to handle the work i'll be doing? Please consider that we're still starting so there won't be much workload... if there are, it's only for posters, tarpaulins, calling cards, invitations, etc...

3. What are the typical problems ex-PC users have when they encounter Mac for the first time?

4. Sorry if this is a stupid question... Photoshop runs in Mac, right? And there won't be any changes in the way it looks?

5. Any comments? suggestions? tips?

thanks in advance everyone! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Personally I'd go for the new iMac with intel core duo chip... It will run most applications faster than the G5 and has the benefit of being able to install Windows XP, should you ever need it.

It will however not run photoshop as fast as it could, until adobe releases a version optimized for the intel based macs (1Q 2007).

1) Easy

2) Yes

4) Yes

OP
E
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Personally I'd go for the new iMac with intel core duo chip... It will run most applications faster than the G5 and has the benefit of being able to install Windows XP, should you ever need it.

It will however not run photoshop as fast as it could, until adobe releases a version optimized for the intel based macs (1Q 2007).

1) Easy

2) Yes

4) Yes

How much is this Intel Core Duo iMac thing? Aaand... Photoshop'll be slow? :(
Should I get this iMac with Intel Core Duo, would I need to get the extra 1Gb mem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
edhel_espyn said:
I've been using the PC for a looong time and quite reluctant to shift to Mac. But people say it's the best OS that could handle graphics well, so I'll be making the big shift soon.
Actually, the statement that Macs are 'better' at graphics is pretty much invalid these days. Windows PC's and Macs are equals when it comes to graphic design.
Years and years ago, it was the case because Macs handled color profiles and displays much more efficiently and faster than any Windows machine could.
Windows PC's have caught up now, and there is no reason to get a Mac for graphic design, if you are already comfortable with Windows and reluctant to make a shift to a new OS. Hardware wise and software wise, Mac and Windows are equals with the respect to graphics design.
The one and only 'advantage' I can see that Mac has is that most high-scale professional printshops are still set up for Mac since the old days, and have stayed that way for consistency. If you use a Mac you will have the advantage that if you get anything done on a larger scale the printshops would be set up for Mac already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I disagree...

Whilst the old argument that macs are somehow inherently 'better' for graphical work might be somewhat outdated (it mainly had to do with the unreliability of older Windows versions), OS X still has a ton of advantages over Windows to bring to the table, which whilst not specific to graphical work will certainly benefit any user.

To name a few: Windows XP installations tend to become more bogged down after a few months than OS X installations do, you don't have to waste as many resources running virus protection, additional firewalls and spyware scanners, built-in colour profile and font managment tools etc. etc...

So I can only agree with your decision to switch to a mac, if you're a small business without a large IT department supporting you - a mac will probably help you be more productive over a longer period of time.

Now: The iMac G5 isn't sold by Apple any more. It has been replaced by the new intel based iMac. So besides the fact that you might have trouble finding a new iMac G5, the intel based machines will "last" you longer, as it is simply faster.

BUT: Photoshop will currently run slightly slower than on a G5, as it is not yet running natively on the intel based machines. In about half a year however (when Photoshop CS 3 is introduced), the new version will run much faster on the intel iMac than on the G5.

But the speed difference is really only measureable in ms, nothing huge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I work in a marketing department doing tons of graphics work.

We use Windows.

It's slow and it sucks compared to working at home on my G5 and the colors, no matter how many times we calibrate, are always wrong (could be user error, but probably not). The G5's are always spot on.

AptMunich was right about the installations, too. The IT department at work (Windows) wipes our harddrives (we use servers for project files) and reinstalls CS2 once every 3 months. I've had the same installation of OS X and CS2 on my Mac for almost a year now with no hassle at all.

No matter how much Devilboy rules, I can't agree with him on this one. ;)

B

burley_dave

1 Other benifiet of the Mac is the fact the keyboard shortcuts actually work, saves me hours every day instead of scrolling through menus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You'd be best off with a 20" Intel Imac (the G5 is obsolete now and you'll have trouble finding one even if you wanted one).

Graphic design is a Mac industry. Yes, you could use a PC, but you'd run into a few hurdles along the way. Font management for one can be difficult on the PC, along with PDF distilling. If you're serious about your own design business, you need to use a Mac.

OS X is a fantastic operating system. It won't take long to get used to it after Windows, and the onus is on switching easily between programs. With Windows you have one program per screen - with OS X it's a lot more fluid. Once you've got used to using the dock for starting and switching between progs, you'll be laughing at Bill Gates' attempt at an OS along with the rest of us :headphone

The keyboard shortcuts are much easier too once you've got used to them. Thumb on Apple and index finger to select the other key. Doing the same thing on a PC gives you finger strain!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.