Our Mac external hard disk just crashed. Help!!

M

MercuryTTM

Hi guys,

Very unlucky morning today. A very crucial back up harddisk in our office just crashed. We are Mac users in office. The back up harddisk in problem is an external one. We back up lots of things to it yesterday and this morning when we try to mount it to one of our Macs we realised it cannot be mounted. After checking it with Disk Utility we found this screenshot:

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Can anyone help? Any ways to resurrect/mount it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i suggest a good repair of permissions and then boot from your install disk (hold down C with your os x cd in the drive) and then run disk utility and try to repair it from there and hopefully that will work.

good thing is is that it is a backup drive and you shouldnt have lost anything (unless your main drives crashed as well) pick up a new one and then re-backup
-chris

OP
M

MercuryTTM

Do i need to use a install disk if the problematic HD is actually an external one?

It's a backup drive but the problem is we have reformatted the original HD after backing it up onto this one. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
you can just run disk utility if the internal hard drive works fine.. you may be able to repair the disk and save some data..depends on what happened to the drive.

OP
M

MercuryTTM

macEfan said:
you can just run disk utility if the internal hard drive works fine.. you may be able to repair the disk and save some data..depends on what happened to the drive.

We used the disk utility from our ok Mac to test the external drive. The screenshots above were the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.