Suggestion- pre-OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
There ought to be pre-OSX forums.

Only supporting the latest, fanciest version of an OS is a MICROSOFT trick! Why stoop that low?
And not everyone needs OSX, afaik. Only having OSX forums is like going to a record store and all they have is top 40.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
We do have a pre-OSX forum:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Directly from the description I'm assuming you didn't read:

"Discussion of Windows on the Mac, older Mac operating systems, and other software."

BTW, drop the attitude or you really won't fit in here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ummm...

what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you clarify please? I'm not sure what to answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
badmuthahubbard said:
There ought to be pre-OSX forums.

Only supporting the latest, fanciest version of an OS is a MICROSOFT trick! Why stoop that low?
And not everyone needs OSX, afaik. Only having OSX forums is like going to a record store and all they have is top 40.
Yeah, (as schweb pointed out) there is a forum that deals with older versions of Mac operating systems. ALL software companies have a "shelf-life" on support for older versions of software, even Apple. Not even they officially support pre-OS X versions of Mac OS anymore, and they are the ones who designed it.

....and BTW, since when is this or any forum obligated to 'support' an OS? Nobody here is paid anything and therefore has no duty or obligation to support anyone or any software. People here offer solutions and suggestions out of mere kindness and courtesy. That being said, if you do have any issues or questions, feel free to search the forums first... and if you can't find your answer then go ahead and post your questions.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
badmuthahubbard said:

Uh, did the name "Mac-Forums" not give away that it was a forum about the Mac OS which, afaik, is currently OSX......

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
schweb said:
We do have a pre-OSX forum:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Directly from the description I'm assuming you didn't read:

"Discussion of Windows on the Mac, older Mac operating systems, and other software."

BTW, drop the attitude or you really won't fit in here.

Sorry, yes, I noticed the forum after posting this. I saw "other OS" and thought it meant lesser-known OS's one doesn't hear about so much. It seems strange earlier Mac OS would be thrown in with Windows and Linux, but if that's how it's done then that's how it's done.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
It still brings up the interesting point of discussion of backwards compatibility. I would have to argue that the machintosh platform gets an F- in that category:

1) Ever since around the 2003 G4 iMacs, only OS X can be booted. The only option for running applications designed for older systems is through the "classic" environment.

2) The need for a "classic" environment. Granted I understand the reason why, that as a unix-based operating system, OS X is too fundamentally different to run older applications. However, it is still worth noting.

3) It gets worse with the intel macs: a complete lack of "classic" support.

Just my attempt to turn a high-tension thread into a constructive, critical discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
F-? I would disagree. The usefulness of OS9 and older systems is questionable these days and continuing support for a system that they are moving away from, or already have moved away from, would be a silly thing for Apple to do. While there are some Apps that will never be upgraded or re-written for OSX, the majority have been or have an equal or better replacement that is OSX compatible.

The usefulness of a discussion area for those that still choose to run older Mac systems and Apps is debatable, but would be nice though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
RChickenMan said:
It still brings up the interesting point of discussion of backwards compatibility. I would have to argue that the machintosh platform gets an F- in that category
Well, I wouldn't go that far. After all, "Classic" deals with an OS that hasn't been updated since 1999. There is backwards compatibility and then there is simply obsolete software. Almost 8 years in computer terms is like two lifetimes for most anything else. :black:
Yes, there are several people who prefer OS 9 and earlier and have never updated to OS X. But most of them are still using the older machines for which OS 9 was designed for.
You can't always expect to put a ten year old part in a brand new model: TV, car, airplane, home stereo, etc. for the same reason you can't expect a new computer to run on old OS.... its called progress. :black:

Just my $.02
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Its weird, no one really cared about support when we moved from DOS to OS6 or OS6 to 7. Heck even the move from OS7 &8(pre.5) to 8.5-9 was a big jump. No one cared about that. You have older computers to run your old software. I have used every apple OS since apple was founded, and I have never found the need to boot up an old program or old files. I never even open up text files from more than a year old ever.

im really tired.

-
OSX has been around long enough to I think cover every application, so If i am wrong.. let me know if you have an application in OSC that wont have a OSX counterpart.

-
good point DB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
I never even open up text files from more than a year old ever.

I still have some docs that are 10 years old that I have and use on occasion. Then again, MS Word is MS Word. They were originally done in Peachtext (15+ years ago) then moved to Word Perfect, then to MS Word. They still work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
badmuthahubbard said:
Sorry, yes, I noticed the forum after posting this. I saw "other OS" and thought it meant lesser-known OS's one doesn't hear about so much. It seems strange earlier Mac OS would be thrown in with Windows and Linux, but if that's how it's done then that's how it's done.
It's done that way because there is such a miniscule volume of pre OSX questions it doesn't make sense to create its own forum.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread since it's gotten off of it's main purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
baggss said:
I still have some docs that are 10 years old that I have and use on occasion. Then again, MS Word is MS Word. They were originally done in Peachtext (15+ years ago) then moved to Word Perfect, then to MS Word. They still work fine.

oh don't get me wrong, I still have text files from years and years ago.. None that are 15.. but my point is that i can get along just fine with out them, and even if i needed to I still could with out OSC... and sounds like you can as well :biohazard

and now ill let the thread die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.