Hard Disk space free up

S

smw1203

Hello everyone,
Me a Mac newbie, just got a new MacBook 2 GHz intel core duo, 60 GB disk notebook. I love it! Have been a Windows user all my life but never was quite happy with it. 10 minutes in my friend's iMac & I knew I wanted a mac.
Alright, this question may have been posted before, but I couldn't find it. Also sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but can someone please help me free up some hard disk space. Though my hard disk capacity is 60 GB, it only shows about 35 GB as free. I wonder what's using all that space.
Can you guys help me free up some space. It's hard to imagine that the OS & utilities/applications are using that much. Any help would me much appreciated.
Thanks,
SMW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
The language support eats up a lot of space. You can remove the unwanted language packages.

Here are some more tips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Well, there are a lot of things you can do to free up space. First of which is get rid of all programs you don't want/need that came on the computer from Apple. Next I'd recommend downloading Monolingual, which is a program used to clear out unused keyboard layouts, frameworks, and languages. I saved around 2Gb with my last use of this program.

That's about all I can think of right now, but that should free up around 3Gb...

EDIT: Novice beat me to it and provided a very helpful link. :p

OP
S

smw1203

Thanks for your replies. I'll try them out. These forums are great indeed.

I wonder if I can install a second hard drive to my MacBook, not external mind you, but internal. Do the new MacBooks allow that? If yes, can it be a faster drive than the one I have now?

I just love my new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, there's no room for a second internal drive, the thing is absolutely jam packed.

You can however very easily swap the internal drive for a larger one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.