How do i install download applications?!

E

el5amu3l

Every time I download an application it just shows up on my desktop with that icon of a sheet of paper with the corner folded down. there's no zipper or anythin on it. Then i click it and it just asks me what application to use, and i dont know. Anybody, help would be great.

Also, any help on getting streaming windows media files to play on a mac?

OP
E

el5amu3l

mynameis said:
What kind of file is it? What application is it?

it's everything. i wanted to install winrar... couldn't. i wanted to install VLC media, couldn't. etc, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
When you download programs they are normally in a ".dmg" format. This is a disk image. Double click the disk image. It will mount. Open the mounted image and you will see the programs icon in there. Drag this icon to your applications folder. Once the program has been copied to your aplications folder you can unmount the image and then delete the .dmg file. Then click Appliclations and double click your program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.0 GHz BlacBook
Also, be sure that you are not trying to use the .exe version of an application. That's the PC executable and won't run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Yeah I had problems with installing apps. I was originally running them from the .dmg files! I'm a numpty!

Anyway...

How do you go about uninstalling? is that as simple as dragging the App to the 'Trash Can'?

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
^exactly, thats one of those beautiful Mac os features!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Cheers for that zal.

Oh more and more I learn about Mac OS X the more I love it.

hehehe here's a little funny snippet to make you all chuckle.
I had never used Mac OS X before this last weekend. Anyway for 3 days I had been using, I didn't know you could hold down 'ctrl' to get extra menu features on a click!
I had to ask my mate at work if there was anything similar to a Windows right-click, he's still laughing at me now! He couldn't believe I've lasted all weekend without knowing that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
there's also a way to right click with the trackpad. if you go into system preferences and look in the keyboard and mouse options you can turn on two finger right clicking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cdawg said:
Also, be sure that you are not trying to use the .exe version of an application. That's the PC executable and won't run.
Yeah, I second that.
It would seem more like you are trying to download and install Windows apps to me.
You will also want to look into downloading and installing Stuffit Expander from the sound of things, as was previously mentioned if you haven't already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.