iPhoto Display Size and Resizing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have been digging deeper into iPhoto. Two questions:

iPhoto doesn't seem to have a setting that controls the size at which it displays a photo when it opens it. It seems to simply use the available screen size. There is nothing that shows what the zoom factor is, whether it has been scaled up or scaled down. Is there some way to at least figure out what the current scaling factor is, and secondly, is there a way to set this so that it zooms to 100% by default?

iPhoto doesn't seem to have the ability to resize photos! Can this be true? I haven't been able to find any such ability. Have I missed it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
What version of iphoto do you own? If it is 6 then you should have no problem, you can even use full screen editing.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have the latest version (I run Tiger, and am up to date with all the updates). It is not that I can't see the image large enough, but I would like to know and be able to control what zoom factor it is displayed at. Also, I would like to be able to resize the image to different pixel dimensions as part of editing so that I could, for example, send a smaller version of the photo to friends via email. For example, I may wish to send a 640x480 version of a photo to someone, rather thatn the full size that comes off my camera.

Any hints on how to (a) see and control the display zoom factor and (b) how to actually resize the pixel dimensions of a photo in iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't think you can get a), but b) you can do via the export command (File-> Export / command+e).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
I don't think you can get a), but b) you can do via the export command (File-> Export / command+e).

that is logical? its clear i need to get a proper photo package, plug-in or freeware.

any recomendations?

i do not want to keep original size pics on my baby mac to save disk space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To be honest, I don't think the space you'll save from reducing your photos file size is really worth sacrificing the ability to retain all of the image quality of your image.

iPhoto is set up to be extremely conservative with your images: Every edit creates a backup of your original file... that goes for cropping, resizing and and other sort of editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
To be honest, I don't think the space you'll save from reducing your photos file size is really worth sacrificing the ability to retain all of the image quality of your image.

iPhoto is set up to be extremely conservative with your images: Every edit creates a backup of your original file... that goes for cropping, resizing and and other sort of editing.

that post changed the way i looked at things in this new world...... i upgraded to a black book..... and am retrieving (as much as i can) the big pics.

thanks

Reaction score
Re: REsizing of iPhoto Library Photos

Hi
It is better to use Thumbnail Creater before creating your iPhoto Library.

You will find it free on web.

Regards

I have been digging deeper into iPhoto. Two questions:

iPhoto doesn't seem to have a setting that controls the size at which it displays a photo when it opens it. It seems to simply use the available screen size. There is nothing that shows what the zoom factor is, whether it has been scaled up or scaled down. Is there some way to at least figure out what the current scaling factor is, and secondly, is there a way to set this so that it zooms to 100% by default?

iPhoto doesn't seem to have the ability to resize photos! Can this be true? I haven't been able to find any such ability. Have I missed it?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.