MBP Boot Camp WinXP Install Problems

S

snaporatz

Hello there Mac Friends. I switched back to Mac for the first time since 1995. I bought a MBP 17" 2.16 Processor with 120 gig / 5400 HD. I hooked up to the internet and got the latest updates. No other programs or data transfer. Then I downloaded Boot Camp, followed all instructions, partition a default size, 5gig, and proceeded with a brand new full xp professional with service pack 2. The blue windows dos installer screen came up and began to load all kinds of drivers. Then in the same screen appears an error message: A problem has been detected.... session3_initialization_failed and nothing happenes. I have to remove the battery to restart laptop. Any suggestions?

OP
V

vonstro

MBP BootCamp problems

snaporatz said:
Hello there Mac Friends. I switched back to Mac for the first time since 1995. I bought a MBP 17" 2.16 Processor with 120 gig / 5400 HD. I hooked up to the internet and got the latest updates. No other programs or data transfer. Then I downloaded Boot Camp, followed all instructions, partition a default size, 5gig, and proceeded with a brand new full xp professional with service pack 2. The blue windows dos installer screen came up and began to load all kinds of drivers. Then in the same screen appears an error message: A problem has been detected.... session3_initialization_failed and nothing happenes. I have to remove the battery to restart laptop. Any suggestions?

I too had some strange problems while loading BootCamp on my 15" MBP. It took a couple of tries to get it up and running. Eventually I did get it straightened out and running right when the novelty started to wear off. Took a few weeks though. I didn't buy an Apple computer to use windoze... so I ended up reformatting the drive and re-installing the saved, original copy of my OSX install. I'm sure there are people who really want their machine to dual boot. It just didn't mean that much to me in the end.

OP
A

amp182

snaporatz said:

Hello, i'm not sure if this is helpful as i didn't experience this problem (but others) but for some unkown reason, people have been using their xp pro cds with strange results. A remedy i have seen around is to make a copy of the service pack 2cd using nero etc to do so and try again with that cd... It maybe a long shot but it has worked for some. Also, maybe a good idea to backup anything you have done on the machine since owning it, reformatting macosx (don't get new updates from web), run bootcamp once more, repartition to a larger size than default and use the burnt xp pro cd and see how goes... Hard to find much on that error code but the following msdn article indicates it maybe a new device driver... http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/1216.asp

Hope this helps.
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Also make sure you have the latest version of boot camp installed (apple updated it a few days ago).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
And, you might want to make sure you have updated your firmware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.