Here's Broadcasting from Vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Just thought I'd let you guys know that (eventually!!!!!!) I'm writing this post from Vista! After 9 weeks of errors, I've cracked it.

For those who are experiencing the same errors that I've been having (and I know there's a few!) i'll post a full step by step to my installation later tonight.

But hey! Vista is good.

Reaction score
quicksilver said:
Just thought I'd let you guys know that (eventually!!!!!!) I'm writing this post from Vista! After 9 weeks of errors, I've cracked it.

For those who are experiencing the same errors that I've been having (and I know there's a few!) i'll post a full step by step to my installation later tonight.

But hey! Vista is good.

did you get it installed yet?

OP
quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, fool proof! (ish)

Install XP SP2 thru Bootcamp. Sort out all your drivers and stuff in XP first, it'll save you problems later.

Now, I can't remember exactly how I did this so..

If I recall, I rebooted, with the Vista DVD in the drive and booted from the DVD.
Go thru the motions, and follow the instructions. At the point where it brings the drive information up, delete the EFI partition. (a 200MB partition which will become 199MB when deleted.)

Now, if you've had the problems I've had, the installation will start but stop during the 'copying files' stage. This is ok. Ideally you want to get out of it after deleting the EFI anyway. (I think you can cancel it actually)

Reboot into XP. Download an app called UltraISO from download.com.

Unpack the Vista ISO into a folder onto the hard drive somewhere.

Once its done, navigate to it, and click on the setup icon.

Choose to Upgrade, and Vista will tell you what programs will not be compatible with it. (Theoretically, if you've just installed XP, you shouldn't have any. If you get any programs that aren't compatible, you have to exit the install and uninstall the conflicting programs)

After this, you should be able to sit back and wait about an hour. The Mac will reboot a number of times, but should finish the installation, and you will have Vista!

Seems long-winded now I've typed it, but it worked and I'm now dual-booting OS X and Vista!

Hope this helps. :D

[EDIT] You will still have some driver issues (iSight for instance) but the majority of things should work straight away. On my first boot I connected to my wireless network and posted the above topic.[/EDIT]

Reaction score
quicksilver can you post some pictures if you wouldn't mind so we could all see how it looks.

S

skyliner34

Nice one quicksilver. But have you found a way past the 14day time bomb yet? Vista is pretty useless without a fix.

Thanks

OP
quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must admit I have no idea about a 14 day time bomb>>???

I will post some pics, when i get a second to myself! Busy day!!!

OP
quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok here's a few pics.

You've got intial boot screen
attachment.php

start up screen
attachment.php

login
attachment.php

desktop with 'gadgets bar'
attachment.php

window
attachment.php

glass effects
attachment.php

flip3d
attachment.php

new start menu
attachment.php

Sorry about the poor camera phone pics, but at least you get the idea!

Image057.jpg

Image058.jpg

Image059.jpg

Image060.jpg

Image061.jpg

Image062.jpg

Image064.jpg

Attachments

• Image063.jpg
    Image063.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 148
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
wow looks cool my friend has it on his imac but i have not sene it in person looks way cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
well if you run into any problems within the next month or so, let me know. I want the an os x feel to windows, plus i'm a gamer so gaming must look sick... but if there are any vista problems within the next month post them here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Yeah Ive heard of people doing it. Now if you want something cool, get it to work under Parallels. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
where do you order a vista dvd from? a special beta department of microsoft? or do you have to be aksed to be a beta tester. I don't understand how people are getting coppies of vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
where do you order a vista dvd from? a special beta department of microsoft? or do you have to be aksed to be a beta tester. I don't understand how people are getting coppies of vista.

Microsoft released the Public Beta 2 of Windows Vista a month or so ago.

OP
quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Goto the microsoft website, go to Windows, and click the Vista link. It should take you straight to the Vista Beta page. You can order the DVD or download the iso. I downloaded it, and it only took 2 1/2 hrs!

Good luck!

A week in, no problems i've noticed yet. Disabled the **** security settings though! Grrrr.

Substantially greater battery usage, but XP was the same so to be expected.

P.S. I just love how Microsoft say "We've combined suspend and hibernate to create a NEW state called 'sleep'"!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 1/2 hours?! Took me half an hour. That's strange, and I downloaded about a day or two after it's release...

S

Sleeping In

Wow, Windows is such a pain, and very confusing. All that installing and downloading 3rd party software? You would never have to do anything like this on a Mac. :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
BlindingLights said:
2 1/2 hours?! Took me half an hour. That's strange, and I downloaded about a day or two after it's release...

If you got it the first 2 days it was released and got it in half an hour, you are one lucky person and got a very good connect with their servers. It was up and down here for 3 hours till it came down. It aborted a couple of times before It finally came down.

OP
quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah loads of people were having major trouble getting it.
I was quite impressed with getting it in under 3 hrs let alone half an hour! I got it on the first day aswell!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
If you got it the first 2 days it was released and got it in half an hour, you are one lucky person and got a very good connect with their servers. It was up and down here for 3 hours till it came down. It aborted a couple of times before It finally came down.

yeah, i guess I lucked out. I was like, "what's all the fuss about downloads taking so long? This is one of the fastest OS downlaods I've ever used!"

I guess I did get an awesome connection with their servers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.