New Macbook!!!!/Application Sizes

Reaction score
Ok, I just ordered a new Macbook from my college (Princeton).
1.8 Ghz
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
+ Bunch O' Apps
Anyways, I was simply wondering how large applications are on OS X (this is my first mac)
Do they vary largely? I was looking at another thread that said OS X + iLife took up about 20 GB. Is this true? How do other apps compare?
Also, I've read that to transfer music from iTunes on my PC to my MacBook, all I need is an ethernet cable, but could someone outline the process in more detail? Additionally, I would like to keep playlists and such (e.g. Play Count, Last Played, etc.), is this even possible? Finally, do I need to reformat my iPod (4G Grayscale)?
Thanks in advance,
Peace,
AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Well the size of of the installation of OSX and iLife can take up about 14-16 GB. I think that one of the things you have to be mindful about your new purchase is that you might not need to use as many apps as compared to the typical windows user (just my opinion) I am using iLife; iWork and Office 2k3 for work purposes. Once again this is only what I need so the typical amount of apps vary by user. Seeing you will be using your MB for education purposes I'm not sure if you will apps like ACS2 etc.

As for using iTunes you can transfer music via ethernet from your PC to your MB. Some people actually store their music on an external drive instead of on the MB hard drive. Once again that all depends on how much you have (I have almost 53 GB of mp3's stored on my iPod and backed up on an external drive). If you want to use your iPod with your new MB you will need to reformat the iPod for a mac format. And that is easily done. Good Luck with your new purchase, i am sure taht I missed some points but there are man ohers on here that are more that can assist you!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.