• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Leopard VS. Vista

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The main thing about this that bugs me is, NO ONE really knows how Leopard will look or be or even what features or code changes will be in it. At least with Vista we do have a Beta to look at that is probably very close to the final in features and looks. All about Leopard though is guessing. When Leopard is released, then we will know and then any judgments can be made.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
The main thing about this that bugs me is, NO ONE really knows how Leopard will look or be or even what features or code changes will be in it. At least with Vista we do have a Beta to look at that is probably very close to the final in features and looks. All about Leopard though is guessing. When Leopard is released, then we will know and then any judgments can be made.

I agree with you, but that guy found rumors and stuff and was telling us about it. Whatever information they find about Leopard or they compare with Vista, gets more switchers, what Steve wants. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am testing out the beta of Vista. I like it for Windows, but it's pretty demanding on your system if you want everything it can deliever and all the eye candy turned on. Tiger runs very well on much less computer. I wonder how Leopard will run on older Macs. Time will tell.

Sometimes the rumor sites are correct but a lot of times they are way off. Again, time will tell. Might be at WWDC but no one is sure at this point.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
I am testing out the beta of Vista. I like it for Windows, but it's pretty demanding on your system if you want everything it can deliever and all the eye candy turned on. Tiger runs very well on much less computer. I wonder how Leopard will run on older Macs. Time will tell.

Sometimes the rumor sites are correct but a lot of times they are way off. Again, time will tell. Might be at WWDC but no one is sure at this point.

Yes time will tell and one of our members at mac-forums are going to WWDC. Its iaminvincible. The thing you said about Vista demanding a lot is right. The next windows os will require better requirements but not for an Apple os. Steve needs to just tell everybody about Leopard so people discuss it and probably more will buy it because of the publicity like Gates did about Vista.

Time, it needs to hurry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Im downloading it.. around 10 - 15 hours.. its gonna take for ever...

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
10-15 hours? What kind of connection do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now its around 5 - 6 hours.. its DSL around 300 - 400kbps upload around 1mbps download. I guess it was just when it was starting.. oh well.. our computer doesn't work anymore, we have to re-install windows xp but before we do we mightus well mess around with it.. or at least me.. we backed up our stuff..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am praying that they do a lot of work to the finder in leopard, other than tat i could care less what they do to the new operating system. i know i will be putting it in on my g5 powermac.

i would assume that leopard will run fine-ish on higher end g4's. i think g3's will be out of the question.

unfortunately for pc users it appears that a new computer or a current, verry high end, pc will be required in order for all the eye-candy stuff to work etc.etc.etc.
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWonder said:
now its around 5 - 6 hours.. its DSL around 300 - 400kbps upload around 1mbps download. I guess it was just when it was starting.. oh well.. our computer doesn't work anymore, we have to re-install windows xp but before we do we mightus well mess around with it.. or at least me.. we backed up our stuff..

The night I got it was the day it was released and I was getting up and down transfer speeds due to all the load on the server. It started at 250K per second down but at one point was around 50k per second for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I might get shot for saying this, but some of the photos that I have seen of Vista look seriously nice.. the glass look is very appealing to me, much more so then the aqua interface. Now that's pretty much the only thing that I like about Vista at this point, but it sure does look nice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its cause its black and transparent..
Murlyn said:
I might get shot for saying this
*loads gun* lol retract your statement

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
Murlyn said:
I might get shot for saying this, but some of the photos that I have seen of Vista look seriously nice.. the glass look is very appealing to me, much more so then the aqua interface. Now that's pretty much the only thing that I like about Vista at this point, but it sure does look nice :)

lol, thats the only change in Vista from XP, the AERO so called interface. And Gates said applications are going to become more unresponsive, but who believes that. ;)

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
I just found another rumor about Leopard having something like iPhone.
Here is what the article said

"Rewards would include credit at the iTunes Store and the Apple Store as well as other affililated offers like free airtime minutes for Apple's forthcoming "iPhone" and the like.

sounds cool to me. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That is a huge rumor and very unsubstantiated so I'd truly take that one with a boulder size grain of salt. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Well, I'm no expert, but after living through DOS, Win95, Win98, and XP, I would be among those no longer interested in whatever MSWindows offers next. I see nothing about Vista or on the Windows horizon that will save me from the protection and maintenance chores I've so come to resent. And I'd wait a number of months after the introducton of ANY new OS on principal -- including Mac's.

Assuming my switch (5-days) continues along its present track using 10.4.6, I'll be very happy to leave the entire PC thing behind to as great a degree as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
coltssaturday said:
I just found another rumor about Leopard having something like iPhone.
Here is what the article said

"Rewards would include credit at the iTunes Store and the Apple Store as well as other affililated offers like free airtime minutes for Apple's forthcoming "iPhone" and the like.

sounds cool to me. :cool:

I don't really see why Apple would even want to offer an iPhone. Aside from adding iTunes, which some phones already have (Rokr or something?), I can't really see a need for it. My existing cell phone, a Motorola v710, already does everything I want. It calls people. It syncs with iSync on my Mac Mini and can act as a Bluetooth modem. I'm definately not going to check my email on a 1.5" screen. Maybe if they had something like the Motorola Q - PDA/phone/high-speed modem - then it would get interesting. With the iPod, they solved the problem of carrying around loads of music. With the iMac and other Apple computers, they solved PC users's headaches of Windows crashing. What more are they going to add to a phone that's not already there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
asolo said:
Well, I'm no expert, but after living through DOS, Win95, Win98, and XP, I would be among those no longer interested in whatever MSWindows offers next. I see nothing about Vista or on the Windows horizon that will save me from the protection and maintenance chores I've so come to resent. And I'd wait a number of months after the introducton of ANY new OS on principal -- including Mac's.

Assuming my switch (5-days) continues along its present track using 10.4.6, I'll be very happy to leave the entire PC thing behind to as great a degree as possible.

I completely, completely agree with you. My path was DOS, Win98, Win2k, XP, and some Linux. Windows never works 100% and Linux isn't exactly what you'd call "user friendly". OS X combines the best with both worlds and just runs with it. I have the same feelings you do - I don't even want to see Vista. I know as an IT guy I'll have to, but that doesn't mean I have to run it at home! Having something that "just works" is such a relief.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
I don't really care about what Microsoft will offer next but i was just giving u'll some information. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.