Misteriously Gone

A

anileve

First let me state that I am completely new and pretty ignorant when it comes to Macs. I encountered my problem, when I was establishing a connection between my PC and my mother's Power Mac G3 running OS X. I was in the Accounts menu and it started freezing up on me, after I created a new account. So I decided to restart the Mac, once I restarted it, it took me to the regular grey screen with the Apple and the disk started spinning, for an unusually long time. Finally it went into the Loading moad, where it loaded several programs including a display of Welcome to mac message, all with no problems.

And then the horror began, it took me to a completely clean desktop with a regular Mac wallpaper (blue with white lines brushed across the screen) with absolutely nothing on it. And I mean nothing, it is blank, completely blank!!!!! There it said not moving with nothing to work with, I can't begin to tell you how many times I restarted the system, pressing SHIFT to log into the safe mode all to no avail, with the same destiny of a blank desktop. And now I don't know what else to do. What could be the cause of it?

I also booted the MAC with Norton Utils, it desplayed some error messages with a mention of incorrect data logical length and relating to the file record in the catalog b-tree and the bundle bits. Searching for this info I still haven't found anything relating to the problems. By the way, when I loaded into Utils, I can see all of the files and the HD, so I am totally lost and confused. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE PROBLEM?

Any ideas, suggestions, solutions, anything???? Please help!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
no idea. first ive ever heard of it. best i can suggest is your fried your HD or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I would definitely reinstall.. I've never heard of that either though.. might want to talk to an Apple Tech

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know if this will help, since my problem was in 10.1.5. But here is my story.

I ended up reloading my system.

Also a side note, I have read some where that Norton Utilties does not work very well with OS X.

OP
A

anileve

Well thanks to all, it was definitely refreshing to read some of the comforting statement such as: “your fried your HD or something”, “I would definitely reinstall”, “I ended up reloading my system.” Whew now if that is not a peace of mind than I don’t know what is. ;)

*Switching off the sarcasm mode* All I can say with this pleasurable experience with Macs, is that firstly I know why I chose to deal with PCs and why the majority chooses PCs over Macs. Please don’t take it as an offence, but hey I speak from an experience, it’s heck of an easier thing to figure out the problem with PC’s than with Macs, be it Linux or windows. Sorry dudes, besides the Mac techs are not very aware of problems themselves unlike PC techs which are quick to diagnose a problem and a solution. Either way I was looking forward to mastering Macs as well but after this incident I doubt I would be entrusted with the machine. My mother with a pale face after finding out the fate of her machine gave me a regretful look of ever coming up with an idea of allowing me to fiddle with her Mac and took it away to give it to the techs at her job (although I doubt they'll figure it out). I guess it’s PCs for me all the way.

Thanks nonetheless for your input guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.