Hard Drive Upgrade

C

clue05

hi everyone. i'm very new to MAC systems and i really need some help. I recently got a second generation IMAC G3 from a friend. it works perfectly but i'm starting to hear noises from the hard drive which mean there will be a failure soon. I've got a Maxtor 40GB Fireball that i'm trying to install. I se the jumper settings to the same as the original drive but when i start it up and pop in the OS X CD, there is no drive for me to select an installation destination. can anyone give me a few pointers? any help would be much appreciated.

-clue

OP
E

Ernie

iMac HDD upgrade

clue05 said:
hi everyone. i'm very new to MAC systems and i really need some help. I recently got a second generation IMAC G3 from a friend. it works perfectly but i'm starting to hear noises from the hard drive which mean there will be a failure soon. I've got a Maxtor 40GB Fireball that i'm trying to install. I se the jumper settings to the same as the original drive but when i start it up and pop in the OS X CD, there is no drive for me to select an installation destination. can anyone give me a few pointers? any help would be much appreciated.

-clue
I have up-graded my old iMac(Tray-loading) HDD without problem. You need to format the HDD first before install the OS X. Chose disk-aid in the utility.

OP
C

clue05

Ernie said:
I have up-graded my old iMac(Tray-loading) HDD without problem. You need to format the HDD first before install the OS X. Chose disk-aid in the utility.

thanks. i actually got OS X Panther and it picked up the drive without a problem. thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.