Battlefield runs TERRBILY on my imac with bootcamp, how can this be??....

J

Jayboyd

I cant understand how everyone is saying how well battlefield 2 is running when on my imac its totaly unplayable. How can that be?

Im experiencing poor framerate and very very often the games just pausing as i turn around as if it cant process the information...when it does this the sound even pauses, its awful! To be honest even if I put graphics on full just to see what the senery looks like its still really poor.

Sorry I dont have much infor to give you but i think i installed it all right so I dont know what to say really!..anyone got any ideas as to why maybe it would run sooo badly on my imac when theres countless others reporting how good it is on their imacs?

(I just tried unreal tournament and it seems ok although both games have a problem of a crackling sound at all times during both)

right i realise that I didnt give much info so heres some vids of my problem...can anyone think what the problem could be? or anyone else come across this when playing bf2?

By the way it happens with bf2 :special forces too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHdtOochWME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxe0t-GtiOg

can anyone shed some light?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
ive never tried BF2 on a mac but I do have it on pc, it looks like you are lagging and having a hard time processing the graphics. I would turn the graphics to low or off on everything, I know it wont look as good but if it makes the game play better then its worth it, thats what I did on my PC. As for the sound, you might check the sound pref. in game and see if its using that eula ( i think thats what its called ), I would put sound on medium and make it process with the software. Sorry im not much help, I dont have an intel mac so I cant load the game and see whats going on.

Just a side note, Special Forces runs pretty terrible on my pc, I think its because that game is pretty process heavy. Your imac should be able to handle it with the graphics low, but I dont know. There are a ton of things it could be with online play.

OP
L

Logan

What's your iMac's specs?

That isn't video lag. You're running TOO **** smooth at some points to be video lag. If it was video lag you would be lagging at EVERY point, you would be walking around at 2fps. You had moments in your video where you walked perfectly fine. Hmm so what's the problem..

Make sure all other programs are closed. Your lag times seem to be when you may be loading chunks of data...

Make sure you have the proper drivers installed. You know the Mac Driver DVD that you burned, I assume you got that installed and working yes?

Make sure you're using the latest version of DirectX.

Do this for me: Turn off sound. Mute it out of game. in Battlefield 2 go into options and turn sound to off too. don't just mute it you're disabling it. get it off. Try playing and see if you have lag performance.

Go into your Start, Settings, Control Panel and Check your system information. Make sure there are no hardware conflicts your Hardware profiles. there'll be a yellow (!) near a device if it has conflicts.

Honestly your problem doesn't seem your iMac is unable to play the game. it just seems like a middle man.

OP
J

Jayboyd

I checked everything you said. I have the standard 17" intel imac although even if it cant handle some graphics it shouldnt be making these popping noises (its like an old scratched record kind of popping). Not sure if its normal but even when the game is loading the sound is stalling and repeating itself like Max Headroom (not sure if your old enought to remeber him!-google it if not!)

I tried with all programmes close but it still happened.

I made sure I have latest direct X

I tried the sound thing but exactly the same thing occurs.

Yes you are right, it does seem like it is stalling when its proccessing data.

The only thing I noticed from what you said is that yes, my bottom human interface device has a yellow(!) next to it. How do I find out what that device is and how do I fix it? If it needs fixing that is (for all I know its supposed to have a (!) next to it?

Thanks so much for your help.

OP
J

Jayboyd

Just to also let you know that in unreal tournament I found that if I tick 'safe Mode' under audio I completely lose the crackling.

having discovered this I googled 'unreal tournament safe mode audio' and I got this page.... http://www.tweakguides.com/UT2004_6.html

I'm not sure if that gives anyone any clues as to what the problem is.

In Battlefield 2 there is no such option to turn on safe mode audio so I cant get rid of the crackling sound which is constantly going. Unless I put my battlefield 2 on the very very lowest settings it keeps stuttering graphically and soundwise as you saw and even on lowest settings I wouldnt want to play it, it looks like a nintendo 64 game. I guess I just dont have the ram to run it although im suprised cause I agree with what you said above that its strange that I get a good frame rate but then itll freeze while it seems to process,

Let me know any thoughts!

cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.