Burning CD on MacBook - What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've finally made the jump from PC to Mac but so far I seem to be falling over on some very basic steps! I'm trying to burn some photos onto a CD, which really should be very simple. If I've understood correctly I just need to copy the files to a burn folder and then click the burn button.

I've tried copying the files to a burn folder but when I click 'Burn' it doesn't appear to recognise that I have a blank CD in the drive. If I look in Disk Utility it shows that there is a disk there, but under 'Info' it shows:
Locked: YES
Writable: NO

If I use Disk Utility to create the image and then burn it, this seems to work and I can read the photos back off the disk. But it seems like there should be a much easier way. Can anyone point me in the right direction here please? As I'm sure I'm probably missing a very simple step.

Also, I have discs labelled as 700MB/80Min. Windows XP seems to be able to burn 702MB onto these, but OS X only 660MB. Is this normal?

many thanks
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
I'm not on my Mac right now, else I would verify. Try this: Eject your blank Cd. Then, click "burn". It should ask you to insert a blank CD. Do so (use the same one you just pulled out). See if it burns that way. I believe it is a safety feature with burn folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Erudite.Warrior said:
I'm not on my Mac right now, else I would verify. Try this: Eject your blank Cd. Then, click "burn". It should ask you to insert a blank CD. Do so (use the same one you just pulled out). See if it burns that way. I believe it is a safety feature with burn folders.
pre-mature burn-ination....never a good thing

OP
M
Reaction score
I seem to have it sorted now, I think it was because I had Disk Utility (rather than Finder) associated with inserting blank CD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You also could always use iPhoto to burn picture CDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.