networking wireless laptop w/ other comps

D

Drew

Hi,
I have 2 imac g3s, a 233MHz and 333MHz, and a powerbook g4 867MHz 15". I got an airport so that I can float around my house and access the internet, the other two aren't airport ready and I didn't need them to be anyways because they were both connected to a router that is hooked up to my cable modem. I have them set up so that it goes modem>WAN port in airport>WAN port in router from LAN port in airport. then the 2 imacs are connected to the router. All computers can access the internet fine but I'm greedy and want to have them all networked together so that I can share a printer and files. the imacs are running 9 but the powerbook is on 10.2.8. How can I set up a network to acomodate all three computers to talk to one another? is it possible to make a wireless and ethernet network come together? Thanks for any input.

Drew

OP
P

PowerbookG417

Drew said:
Hi,
I have 2 imac g3s, a 233MHz and 333MHz, and a powerbook g4 867MHz 15". I got an airport so that I can float around my house and access the internet, the other two aren't airport ready and I didn't need them to be anyways because they were both connected to a router that is hooked up to my cable modem. I have them set up so that it goes modem>WAN port in airport>WAN port in router from LAN port in airport. then the 2 imacs are connected to the router. All computers can access the internet fine but I'm greedy and want to have them all networked together so that I can share a printer and files. the imacs are running 9 but the powerbook is on 10.2.8. How can I set up a network to acomodate all three computers to talk to one another? is it possible to make a wireless and ethernet network come together? Thanks for any input.

Drew
This can be done...the only problem is that it will vary what to do with what router..i have pretty much the same hook up at home but i have mine Modem(Wan) > Dlink(router) > Airport, i set it up like this becuase the airport ( rev b verison) has lil to no programming avaible where as the d-link...out the wayzoo. all you simply need to do is forward the trasmissions going from that ports ip to be sent to the ip addy of the computer on the airport and vis versa ie (port 1 192.168.0.100 -> PC, Port 2 192.168.0.101) just set a rule so that any information that comes to 192.168.0.101 gets sent to the ip 10.0.1.2 your airport ip and then vise versa so that the 2 networks can talk

the only other way that i can think of to do this and im not sure it will work is to change the gateway of the router to the same of the airport so they are all on the same wave..

a call to you router companys support line might help or check out the faq section of the website...thats how i got mine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.