• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

System for FCP5

M

mattpoker

Hi, i've been on a course to learn FCP 5 and i'd like to buy a system to keep my eye in. It doesn't have to be terribly quick, just needs to work.

I'm editing some soccer matches in to one dvd for a local club as practise. No rush, just has to be done at some point.

Spec:
2 x 2.0Ghz G5 Processors (Dual)
512Kb L2 Cache
1Ghz Bus Speed
1.5GB RAM
SuperDrive (Burn CD & DVD)
Firewire and USB
160GB Hardrive
Airport Extreme Card

Will this system suffice? What should I invest in to help run it. Thanks for any help.
Ebay seems to be the best site for 2nd hand systems unless someone knows any better - I'm based in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
That system should more than do that job... The only thing I might consider is bumping it up to 2 full gigs of RAM. And over time I'm sure you will want to pick up firewire drives for extra storage. But it will run just fine as is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you will w ant more ram and more hard drive space but that system should run just fine
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
See my system specs to left side? That works OK with FCP5. I'm not a pro or heavy user. So I'd say the system you mention is more than enough.

The ram you mention should be fine to. You can check via a monitor to see how much ram your using when you have apps open. I can't remember its name, but it is in the Utilities folder.

The better the video card, the better the realtime effects review will work.

OP
M

mattpoker

Thank's for the replies and help.
I'm getting way too carried away now! I'm thinking of going nuts and bidding for this:

APPLE POWER MACINTOSH DUAL 2.0 GHZ G5

SPEC:

DUAL (TWO PROCESSORS) 2.0 GHZ G5 PROCESSORS.

4GB DDR RAM

1 X 160GB HARD DRIVE AND 1 X 80GB HARD DRIVE

DUAL DVI VIDEO CARD (TO SUPPORT BOTH MONITORS)

2 X APPLE 20 INCH STUDIO DISPLAYS

APPLE SUPERDRIVE (PIONEER 109 - WITH BIOS UPDATE SO REGION FREE!) WHICH WILL BURN DVDS AT 16 SPEED (ALSO CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW).

Should I be concerned by this:

THOUGH I'M AFRAID I NO LONGER HAVE THE APPLE RESTORE DISKS

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
mattpoker said:
THOUGH I'M AFRAID I NO LONGER HAVE THE APPLE RESTORE DISKS
Phone Apple UK to see if you can order them as a package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
you will be fine im running fcp on a g3 with 600mhz

Reaction score
I would go with at least a 500GB Hard Drive. I have an iMac G5 2.1GHz with 1.5 GB ram with a 250 gb hard drive and another 500gb external.

OP
M

mattpoker

Is it easy to add more gb to your hard drive? Or once you start adding that do you have to increase on others things too to help support it?

Reaction score
You can't add GB's to your Hard Drive. You can only get a bigger hard drive. And no, bigger hardrives don't require hardware upgrades in other areas. Currently you can get up to 750GB in a single drive, and you can fit a couple of those in your G5. However, I've worked for a year and a half with 350GB. If your only doing a couple of projects you probably wont have to upgrade anything, especially if you get the one with 4GB of RAM. THat's all you will ever need with FCP.

Reaction score
If you buy a system with only 160 GB, then just take it to the apple store and see how much it is for a bigger drive then get them to install it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
just buy a nice external

Reaction score
thelox714 said:
but apple charges too much for HD and RAM.
agreed.. i bought my imac with very little research and bought all my 1.5 gb from apple. it added about $400

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.