I made the switch and I am LOVING it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I have been a LONG time windows user and I just made the switch to mac and I have to say that I am sooo impressed with the hardware and the operating system! I love it! All I want to do now is talk about how awesome it is to my friends and get them to use it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Careful Jonnyfive. I have just done the same thing - switched over from Windows (and Linux) to Mac. Like you, I am amazed and quite the Apple "prophet" these days. I have quickly learned however that most people really don't want to hear it. You and I, we have found new religion - as for the rest, you have to pick your time to tell them about it, when Windows has really got them down due to the latest virus, the latest crash, the latest thing that just doesn't work...

A quick example - my wife just didn't care, until a day or two ago when she asked me to pull up a web page that she was having trouble with. Of course, it rendered perfectly on the Mac. Turns out her Norton Internet Security package (it or something like it is a necessary evil on Windows boxes) was misinterpreting parts of the page as an attack and blocking it. Of course, I couldn't resist a little pitch for Mac OS X at that point, and I think I advanced her thinking a wee tad at that point. She'll have a Mac before the year is out! :)

Reaction score
Jonnyfive said:
I have been a LONG time windows user and I just made the switch to mac and I have to say that I am sooo impressed with the hardware and the operating system! I love it! All I want to do now is talk about how awesome it is to my friends and get them to use it!

enjoy it and i will hopefully get one soon!!

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
LOL that is very funny and I have found that to be true, people are quite skeptical.

My mothers computer went down due to viruses and the like, so instead of fixing it and getting it back to her I got her a mac and she isn't having any more problems. She doesn't have the computer knowledge to really appreciate it but it's working great and I don't get calls on the phone to come over and fix it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Ive never completely made the Mac switch. I got an iBook G4 but no OS or OS cd's. Plus the combo drive is bad. But someone offered a good condition iBook G3 as a trade, with OSX Panther. I can't wait, it will be my official Windows-Mac switch. I of course will keep my PC for CS Source and stuff, but I will keep my music and web browsing and stuff on the iBook. Then once I get a job, I want to get an Intel iMac so I can put OSX and Windows XP on it.

And no one will probably listen once you tell them that Mac is soo much better than PC. I mean whos gonna switch to mac when you can still run XP, play games, edit music and photos, browse internet, do pod casts and the worst of all, not get viruses! OMG No viruses!? I must stay with a PC in that case! :mac: *rolls eyes*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook, iBook G4 (RIP), iBook G3, iMac G3, 30 GB iPod, 8GB iPhone
LOL that is very funny and I have found that to be true, people are quite skeptical.

My mothers computer went down due to viruses and the like, so instead of fixing it and getting it back to her I got her a mac and she isn't having any more problems. She doesn't have the computer knowledge to really appreciate it but it's working great and I don't get calls on the phone to come over and fix it all the time.
I got my mom an iMac a few years ago. She had never really used a computer before and figured it'd be just as easy for her to learn on a mac as on a PC. I showed her the basics and told her how it worked etc... Everything was fine until she started asking others how to do thing on the Mac... they were all saying "What is this piece of sh**?" and told her they didn't know how to work the **** thing. So now I have the iMac and she has a PC. And now I'm always over there fixing one problem or another.
Last week I brought over my MacBook to do her taxes, she was impressed with it and started asking me about it. I told her it was too advanced a machine for her and for her to stick with her POS PC. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
That is a sad story babsrock, she got converted to the dark side when she had a perfect chance at being enlightened. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
There's something about switching and NOT being able to keep our mouths shut. How can we when we know there is something so much better. Most people I've talked to complain about the price and trying to convince them that it's worth it is almost impossible because they say they can get on the internet and use a word processor on their pc. If that's all it is to some people, I just tell them to stay with their PC, but if they want reliability, no virus problems, shut downs in the middle of your work, etc. then they better be thinking about a Mac. I know I'll keep trying to educate people about my experience with a very high quality product that has no comparison. Yeah, when I switched, I went way over to the left (or is to the right?):>)

T

todd51

A lot of my roomates are like that, they just use their computers to print up reports for college, powerpoint presentations, chatting, surfing the net.

They keep asking me how come I payed so much for a laptop, but at the same time I get asked questions on how to fix something with their computers. I guess they just assume that I have problems too :)

Then came the day when they saw me in my room studying, I had FrontRow playing and they asked what it was, and I showed them. Their jaws hit the floor. I also showed them the Dashboard and they couldn't believe it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
They keep asking me how come I payed so much for a laptop, but at the same time I get asked questions on how to fix something with their computers. I guess they just assume that I have problems too :)

The funny thing about that is that Macs are no longer more expensive. Peripherals, perhaps, but the machines themselves are quite competitive if not a little less expensive for a comparible quality Windows system.

Case in point: I just bought the mid-tier Macbook with the specs you see under my avatar. The price was $1299. For that I got a very capable, nice form-factor, well equipped computer. Plus some extras like built-in wireless, built-in camera, and bluetooth.

I got my wife the black version of the mid-tier Macbook with the identical configuration but black (and with a 120 Gig HDD instead of 80) and it was $1499. My wife loves it almost as much as she loves me and her cat, and that's saying a lot. So she asked me the other night as we were surfing the net with our respective Macs what were the comparative prices of other notebook manufactures with similar specs. I jumped onto Dell's site to see what their price/configuration would be if I wanted a similar computer in the Windows world. Once I was done configuring all the options (and to be fair, I included the camera too, but I also included Windows Vista Ultimate, which is what I consider Mac OS X to be the equivalent, er, superior) spec for spec the thing ended up costing $1,807! This is $100+ more expensive than my Macbook enedd up costing even when I threw in AppleCare and Parallels Workstation. Heck, my wife's Macbook came with a free printer!

Plus my Macbook will run Windows in Parallels, or Bootcamp. The Dell can only run Windows; no OS X.

There are a number of other value added things about the Macbook that I don't know if Vista/Windows XP comes with that are little, but end up being kind of cool. Exposé is one of them, Speech is another. Also things like not having balloons constantly bugging you when peripherals are connected, or wireless networks are connected to and things like that.

Now, when it comes to peripherals or upgrades, that might be a different thing. But that's nickel & dime stuff. I'm right now enjoying my Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse and for some reason, I don't feel bad at all spending the few extra $$$'s for these fine devices (which also free up a USB port.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.