iMac RAM

C

caveatipss

Ok, there is no such question or answer in the Search function. Will the 20" Intel Core Duo iMac accept RAM with heat spreaders on it? In other words, are the RAM slots big enough to hold RAM sticks with heat spreaders on them? Thanks.

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
Ok, there is no such question or answer in the Search function. Will the 20" Intel Core Duo iMac accept RAM with heat spreaders on it? In other words, are the RAM slots big enough to hold RAM sticks with heat spreaders on them? Thanks.
Don't believe it will. It's a tight fit as is, and even super thin heat spreaders would likely obstruct the RAMs insertion. Moreover, I could be wrong but I've never seen laptop size DDR2 sticks with heat spreaders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Once again, by reading the specifications for the $1600 computer you just purchased you might have realized what type of ram it took. For someone who knows soooo much about computers you continue to amaze me at your level of awareness. You have NO reason in the world to want heat spreaders on your ram. You will not be changing the timings on your ram, you will not be overclocking them, and you will not be using HEAT SPREADERS!!!!!! The ram in an iMac is a tight fit and you WILL NOT be using heat spreaders. I dare to repeat myself in case you didn't pay attention the first time.

OP
C

caveatipss

techster82 said:
Once again, by reading the specifications for the $1600 computer you just purchased you might have realized what type of ram it took. For someone who knows soooo much about computers you continue to amaze me at your level of awareness. You have NO reason in the world to want heat spreaders on your ram. You will not be changing the timings on your ram, you will not be overclocking them, and you will not be using HEAT SPREADERS!!!!!! The ram in an iMac is a tight fit and you WILL NOT be using heat spreaders. I dare to repeat myself in case you didn't pay attention the first time.

Ah, but let us examine some rational facts, my friend, rather than erupt in a storm of emotion.

1. I did read the specifications, but I did not note the pin count on the Ram. Why? Simply because it was not relevant to my decision to purchase it.

2. I have never claimed to know "soooo much about computers." What I claim is that I know enough to mod and overclock Windows computers. I know a good deal about them, but am by no means an expert. Since Mac motherboards are proprietary, then logically, I do not know anything about overclocking them.

3. Your premise that anyone who know alot about computers would count the pins on his new order's RAM, or else he does not know anything about computers, is a fallacy, specifically, that of non sequitor. There is nothing about knowing about computers that logically demands that one cound RAM pins.

4. Indeed, there are many reasons why I might want heat spreaders. Some are:
A. I simply want cooler RAM for better performance.
B. The highest quality RAM automatically comes with heat spreaders, whether I want them or not.
C. I plan to overclock my system.
D. Etc.

Now, I have used calm, cool reason to answer your angry, emotional outburst. Perhaps in the future, before making such outbursts, we could first discuss things rationally? Then, perhaps you might see that your assumptions sometimes are groundless, and that your conclousions about me are in fact not reasonable.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
techster82 said:
unecessary flame!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.