Upgrade to OSX?

D

difficult3

I have an original G4. I'm currently using 0S 8.6 but I'm considering upgrading to OS X to be compatible with more software. However, I'm afraid of screwing up a computer that's already working wonderfully. What do you reccommend?

OP
J

jerodhusvar

difficult3 said:
I have an original G4. I'm currently using 0S 8.6 but I'm considering upgrading to OS X to be compatible with more software. However, I'm afraid of screwing up a computer that's already working wonderfully. What do you reccommend?

I've upgraded both an old iMac and an old Graphite g4 (400mhz) to OS X. I haven't had any problems that something I did didn't cause. The installs were both clean and painless.

I'm not sure if OS 8.6 will work with OS X, you might have to be upgraded to 9.x first. Someone else will pipe up and say for sure, I'm sure.

Jerod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ya, you cant upgrade to OS X from 8.6, but you can do a clean install with OS X.

OP
D

difficult3

MacAddikt said:
ya, you cant upgrade to OS X from 8.6, but you can do a clean install with OS X.

I understand...but am I at risk of screwing up any existing programs on my computer or the performance? Basically--would it be worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well performance would improve but you would be forced to lose all the existing programs because you can not upgrade you have to wipe the HD when you install OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.