X11 not showing up in Utilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I just bought a powerbook with OS X 10.4.9 and I cannot find X11 in Utilities, I searched the install dvd and ran the pakage called X11 and installed that but it still doesn't show up. what's the deal?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Because you ran the wrong installer. There are a bunch of threads here on Mac Forums already about how to install X11 but really fast, insert your Tiger DVD. When the window pops open, scroll down toward the bottom and look for Optional Installs. Click on that and it will get to a selection screen. Expand Applications and check X11 then continue and it will install the full X11. Then it will work.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
It worked! Oh Bless your heart!

I am sorry, I did not know that there were threads that already existed. But thank you for responding with quick info.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad I could help you out.

Reaction score
Don't have Optional Installs Folder

Hi,

I'm trying to follow the steps people are outlining on this forum to install X11, but on my original installation disk for my G4 iMac, I can't find any Optional Installs folder. I've scrolled down, I've looked all over, but there's just no sign of the Optional Installs folder, and of course, the X11 thing I downloaded from the web is useless. Is there anything I can do to get X11 on my computer, or am I just unlucky and will never get to use Gimp?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I'm trying to follow the steps people are outlining on this forum to install X11, but on my original installation disk for my G4 iMac, I can't find any Optional Installs folder. I've scrolled down, I've looked all over, but there's just no sign of the Optional Installs folder, and of course, the X11 thing I downloaded from the web is useless. Is there anything I can do to get X11 on my computer, or am I just unlucky and will never get to use Gimp?

Which version of OSX is your install CD/DVD?

I doubt 10.4 Tiger came with the iMac G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.