MBP vs MB for Music Production?

I

InnaSeoul

I've done a search, but was unable to find anything on this topic. I've been doing some research before I switch to a Mac for music production purposes, and it seems like, from the description of the MB and on the forums here and elsewhere, the biggest drawback to the MB is the internal graphics card.

Since this drawback isn't critical for music production, it seems as though you get a better deal for music production by choosing the MB no? Of course you get a bigger screen with a 15", but you don't really need the higher rated graphics card. I guess my question is...

If you were to get into serious music production (Logic, Pro Tools, Audio interfaces, etc) why would you (or did you) purchase the MBP over the MB?

Thanks in advance!

InnaSeoul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
I would go for the best you can personally. Serious audio editing requires much more ram than anything else does (yes, including graphic editing). You need the playback to be smooth and at a decent sample rate. You want the fastest processor and most amount ram you can get. Of course some people have a certain standard they want to meet, I would want the best I can afford personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I'd also get the most expandability from my computer - graphics card is nominal for audio but RAM is always important for OSX. Get the best. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The MacBook uses the same memory type, and has the same limit as the MacBook Pro. They both use the same Intel chipset with the same integrated audio chip, have the same bus speeds, and mainly the same CPU (except the 2.16GHz in the higher model MacBook Pro). And both can take a second screen.

No matter how serious your music production is, you'll get the same performance out of both. The 2.16GHz models aren't significantly faster.

So I think the decisive questions are:
Do you need a 15"/17" screen and the ability to use a 30" screen, or does the 13" screen and the possibility to add a 23" screen fit your needs?
Which design do you like better?
How important is an illuminated keyboard? :cool:

For music production, you won't get any performance advantages from the MacBook Pro, compared to the MacBook.

OP
I

InnaSeoul

After reading the last post, I think I'll probably just get the Macbook because Avalon is right, all the components that matter are the same. I'd be maxing out the RAM either way so that's no biggie. Although, the illuminated keyboard sure would be helpful when gigging in a dark club, and the express port on the MBP would allow the option of Firewire 800 hmm....Anyways thanks for the responses!

InnaSeoul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.