Airport Extreme

B

Basket_Case_24

Hey... i've found Airport Extreme for sale but it says it doesn't have a a modem. i doint know much about routers so don't know what this means. can someone helo me. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Modem, as in the thing you use for dial up ISP acess.

There are two models available. Read THIS to see the differences. One has a modem, the other doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
If your getting your internet from anywhere other than dialup type, you will probably not ever need a modem. I have airport express hooked up and it works great. Extreme is even better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You only need a modem if you still connect to the internet via analog dialup.

Otherwise, go for the cheaper airport express & hook that up to your cable/dsl modem and it will allow you to wirelessly connect...

OP
B

Basket_Case_24

hmm..

right... im using a speedtouch usb modem atm to connect to my broadband service. how does this work when inserting airport!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I misunderstood your original question; no Airport does not work as a modem unless you are on dial up. You need a Wireless router such as Airport to hook up to your Broadband modem. Your Airport card in your Mac will then hook up to the Airport wirelessly and provide you with the wireless capability. You don't need an Airport base station to do this, pretty much any Wireless router will work with your Mac but you do need an Airport Extreme card in the Mac itself.

Reaction score
the Extreme modem can be used to fax from the computer if needed -- I always pdf stuff, but that's about the only use for the modem that I can think of (if you've got broadband).

OP
B

Basket_Case_24

Whuu!

AWESOME.. so i'm good to but it then... then come back on here asking for clues on how to set it up =] thanks alot guys!! :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
no problem, however the manual is pretty easy :) and you already have airport admin :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.