Filesharing w/ Linux Machines

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen MacBook; 2G Mac Mini
Hello,

I have three Linux boxes (running CentOS 4.0, which is the open version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux) on my home network. Each Linux box can read/write the other two via NFS. I'd like to add my new MacBook to the mix, but I keep getting an error when I try to connect to any of them. The error is: "Could not connect to the server becaue the name or password is not correct." (It never prompted me for a name or password.) I've been trying to connect in the Finder with: nfs://192.168.0.100/home/farmer which is the address of one of the Linux machines. I've also tried to connect to the other two boxes, and tried variations such as nfs://192.168.0.100, with the same results. Any way to get this to work? I would think filesharing should be super-easy on a Mac.

I'm not married to NFS - would it be easier if I used SMB? I've only had the MacBook since yesterday, so I'm still getting acquainted, but filesharing is a must. Oh, the MacBook automatically settled in on the network at 192.168.0.103, as expected, with the Linux boxes at 100, 101, and 102.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I have 4 Linux systems running with SMB and so far it works fine. I have never tried to connect with NFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I use FTP on all my linux boxes. Works perfectly.

OP
applewax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen MacBook; 2G Mac Mini
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did look briefly at Netatalk, but it looks kinda involved to set up, and I don't really have the time. My thinking is, NFS is fully supported by OS X, so it should work. :)

Since my original post, I have got SMB working, sort of. I can copy most files from the Linux box (SMB server) to the Mac. (For some files, the Mac complains that I don't have sufficient privileges?? I haven't yet looked into that.) However I am unable to copy files from the Mac to the Linux box. How do I enable write privileges to the Linux box(s) from the Mac in SMB?

I haven't tried FTP yet. The Linux boxes aren't set up for that, so it would be more installing/configuration. Then I guess I'd have to use an FTP Client instead of just mounting the networked volumes as in SMB or NFS? I'd rather have true filesharing between all four machines.

Thanks again for any tips...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Mac OS X has a built in Client for FTP that can log on, otherwise use Fetch. And to fix the privileges you'll need to edit a config file for the Linux boxes SMB software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.