Connecting problems

T

Tony3ts

I'm trying to get a friend connected to the internet. He has a new Intel iMac and a Belkin ADSL modem and router. He has a BT Broadband connection. We can get a DSL light on the modem/router. And the wifi signal works fine. Just no internet connection - no light on the modem/router, no webpages, no email. Discussions with BT Broadband's helpers on the sub-continent came to nothing. They have set in train a check of the broadband connection at the local exchange. Can anybody advise me what questions to ask of BT, when they get back to us, or any other wrinkles? PS we have tried the set-up with a Netgear ADSL modem with exactly the same results. My friend lives in Wiltshire, UK. Thanks for any help! Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Has the connection ever worked? Are you sure the service is turned on?

Does the router interface say it is connected and have a valid WAN IP? Or valid DNS servers?

Does the iMac get an IP from the router? Can the iMac ping the DNS servers?

OP
T

Tony3ts

Thanks for the reply Macswork. The answer is that I believe it worked before, with a USB modem going into a Rev 1 iMac. (Though I think there were hiccups). BT Broadband, when I've talked to them, claim that the service is on, and indeed the DSL light works on the modem/router.The iMac does get an IP from the router but the interface says boldly at the top NOT CONNECTED. I'm not sure about valid DNS servers as I'm now far away from the machinery (ie its in Wiltshire, I'm in London) and I've never understood what ping-ing is/does. My assumption was: brand new iMac, brand-new modem/router, BT broadband - what could go wrong? Hmmm. I even did a clean OS install just to clear the decks on the iMac side. Thanks for your interest and any other ideas you may have would be welcome. Tony3ts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
DSL works two ways. Either by static IP from your ISP or by entering a username and password into your router. It sounds like there is a authentication issue. Do you see a place to enter username and password in the router, not to login to the router but to connect to your ISP via PPPoE.

Verify the type of connection with BT and then verify the settings in the router.

DSL light means there is a signal but NOT CONNECTED means wrong connection information.

PING is utility to send a packet of information to a network node to see if it responds to ICMP traffic. Basically an "are you there?" yes or no and then measured in miliseconds round trip.

This is not a Mac issue but a network issue. No need to reformat again.

Did BT provide you with the device? If so they should be supporting you.

OP
T

Tony3ts

Macswork - thanks for your ongoing interest. BT Broadband confirmed their end of things (from India, but nevermind) that my friend's connection and account were sound. They advised that he contact Belkin, which I thought was buck-passing. However, my friend did so on a no stone unturned principle. He has just told me that the very helpful lady there (also from India) suggested some changes ( I await details) in the interface, and hey presto, he's connected! So thanks again for keeping the pot boiling... Tony 3ts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.