• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macs with extras from the Apple Stores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Can you walk out of an Apple store with anything but the "standard" configuration iMacs? And, if so, do they install the upgrades, or are they available in sealed boxes with different configurations? Naturally, it's all about being impatient. :) I'm really getting itchy for a 20" iMac, but I think I'd want to upgrade the HD, and the RAM.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I know my local apple store will do the RAM while you wait, im not sure if they do hard drives or not you would need to ask.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PunkRockTuba said:
I know my local apple store will do the RAM while you wait, im not sure if they do hard drives or not you would need to ask.

Thank you. If within range of an Apple store, would you do the same thing, or order your configuration online?

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Well, when I went all they had was standard, I wanted the 17" iMac with 250 GB, and all they had was 160... I don't know if they do ram, shoulda asked...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
The Apple Store carries the standard models. They will upgrade the RAM at the store, unfortunately they won't upgrade the HD for you. For that you'd have to order online. Occasionally they do get in some upgraded models, but this is not something to count on.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
daz087 said:
The Apple Store carries the standard models. They will upgrade the RAM at the store, unfortunately they won't upgrade the HD for you. For that you'd have to order online. Occasionally they do get in some upgraded models, but this is not something to count on.

Thanks very much. It probably won't hurt to call or stop in, but I expect I'll probably end up ordering and waiting.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They will do RAM and they might have certain BTO configurations in stock as well, but I wouldn't count on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i know in the uk we carry a handful of popular CTO configs (ie we did the 15" PB with 100Gb 7200 and 1Gb ram) but we never had that many so just give them a call

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
geekboy2000 said:
Thank you. If within range of an Apple store, would you do the same thing, or order your configuration online?

Mark

I think calling would be your best bet, they could always have the one you want. If they didnt have it, or cant upgrade it ordering online would be the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
They will upgrade the RAM, but I decided to decline their offer, seeing how I'm not really licensed to print my own currency. $50 DIY vs. $~320-340 at the Apple Store, for 1GB of plain DDR RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.