• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Macbook Here!!

OP
I

iBrad

I just bought my MacBook Pro yesterday...and now for the same price I could have had a 2.0 GHz. Ah well, doesn't bother me too much. But any ideas what I got for paying the extra grand???

OP
M

MJGUK

iBrad said:
I just bought my MacBook Pro yesterday...and now for the same price I could have had a 2.0 GHz. Ah well, doesn't bother me too much. But any ideas what I got for paying the extra grand???
When I first looked, I thought that too.
But I guess we are paying the extra cash for a much thinner machine, with luxuries like a back lit keyboard, extra RAM in some cases, Extra HD Space, MUCH better graphics......But I see why you thought that.

One thing is for sure......The new MacBooks are very well equiped! :)

OP
I

iBrad

Nevermind!! The dedicated 128MB video compared to the 64MB shared Intel video is all I need as well as the extra resolution!! Sure I lost out on the .17 GHz of CPU speed for my uses I'm ok with that....I'm still in love with the MBP.

OP
I

iBrad

Ok, I'm turning into a post slut here....but is it just me or are die hard Mac fans waiting for the Macbook going to cringe at the Intel shared video?

Reaction score
Wow is all i can say the spec for the money is blumin shocking.....Apple Share price up, Dell share price down.

Now Mr Dell what were you saying about closing Apple and the shareholders??????

Apparently the onboard graphics have been trimmed to make way for the new Mac Book Slim and Mac Book Gamer...

Oh Apple you are a tease to my wallet!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Very cool, I want one now haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
Black Mac? I want one!

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
it has shared video memory, what are you talking about?

Reaction score
Hmmm my thoughts:

- Share video memory, suppose this weas expected since it is the macbook not the macbook pro.

- The only difference between the top white model and the top black model is an upgrade from a 60GB to 80GB hard drive. So your paying quite a lot for getting that black paint job.

- They have mini-dvi (which used to be powerbook 12") and they have got all the latest trimmings like iSight, remote, front row, magsafe, scrolling trackpad, wifi/BT/gigabitethernet. This makes me wonder if Apple actually plan to have a sub-15" macbook pro in the works (ie, to replace the powerbook 12" slot). It would be hard to compete with the macbooks except by including a seperate video card, would this be enough though? Will there even be a 12" macbook pro now?

- glossy widescreen, does this mean Apple have finally started to use better displays like you get in a lot of PC laptops these days (a lot of which are very crisp and glossy looking).

- The keyboard seems new, the keys have rounded edges to them.

- How come the MacBooks have similar processors to the pros? Didn't apple usually have a clear difference between the ibooks and powerbooks?

Reaction score
Will we be able to install RAM ourselves? Or will it have to be disassembled? The RAM seems steep. Other than that, I like the shiny black. Looks very nice.

Reaction score
I would be very suprised if you can't install your own RAM, it's always been user servicable.

Also it seems the macbook pros have had a slight processor bump and now also come with the same "glossy" displays as the macbooks!

OP
I

iBrad

zeta101 said:
I would be very suprised if you can't install your own RAM, it's always been user servicable.

Also it seems the macbook pros have had a slight processor bump and now also come with the same "glossy" displays as the macbooks!

I'm not a fan of the glossy display. Any amount of light and there's a LOT of reflection/glare and with the addition of any real sunlight and you can see a LOT of dust. But to each their own because it does produce a nice picture in the right setting.

I was actually VERY lucky in getting my Macbook Pro. I sold my iBook because of some PC situations that I HAD to have for work (a knife in my heart) so I waved good-bye to my dear 12" companion and thought I would spring for the MBP. Then the dollars just didn't make sense....I couldn't spend that kind of coin. I waited for the Macbook but it didn't come and I got impatient. I (shamfully) caved and bought a Compaq Presario (with a glossy display) from Staples. Now for the price it was a nice PC...but I still browsed the Apple site every day in want. Then the optical drive died in the Presario after approximately 25 days. Staples had a 14 day return policy so I thought there was no way they'd let me return it. Amazingly they took it back with barely any questions. I learned my lesson, had been given a second change and went and sprung on a MBP yesterday...now less than 24 hours later the same machine get's a .17 GHz processor bump, but I won't complain...I was lucky to get a second chance to stick with Apple and for what I do, the CPU difference will shave maybe a second off rendering an iMovie clip.

Now that you are all wiping tears away from your face over my miracle story I'll just tell you that (and I know I'm jacking my own thread so please forgive me) but the MBP has been worth every penny in the short time I've used it. Yes it gets hot up next to the F1-F2 keys as a result of the power supply, but I think it's deceiving how hot it is due to it being Aluminum. I remember my iBook got "really" hot, but with it being plastic is didn't feel quite as hot as the Aluminum might be seeing as how well Aluminum conducts heat. As for CPU "whine" if I plaster my head against the keyboard I can hear it, but certainly not worth complaining about. I think the Macbook is going to be a great machine for casual users, students, and love playing around with iLife stuff. Aside from the video, it really is quite the powerful machine sans a few MBP bells and whistles. I'm already hounding my brother to sell his PC and get the Macbook.....I saved the day, he caved. :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
Hey ibrad if you bought a macbook pro within 14 days and they upgrade it all you have to do is call apple and let them know they will give you a return authorization number and send you the new updated one. Trust me it happened to me when i bought a powerbook in november and a week later they upgraded them so i just returned it and got a new one. Easy peasy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
iBrad said:
Ok, I'm turning into a post slut here....but is it just me or are die hard Mac fans waiting for the Macbook going to cringe at the Intel shared video?

My thoughts exactly. The one thing that low end macs had over low end windows machines was non shared video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Arg. I was actually thinking they would offer "flavors" again. The black is good though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Glossy screen, that kinda threw me for a loop, but it is an excellent deal for those ona budget. I am still loving my MBP, neverless the price!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.