"PPPoE: Not Connected"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I like to think I know my way around a computer, but I completely suck with Wi-Fi, so I need someone to help me out:

One day I go to hockey practice, since I have no license, and I'm not the one driving, I bring my Mac along to work on whatever I needed to. Naturally, I dimmed the backlight, turn off Airport, kill the bluetooth, etc.

I get home, pop in the shower, and while I'm drying off I turn on my PowerBook, turn Airport back on, etc. When I sit down, it asks me for a password, but it's a different box than I normally get. I type it in, and then it starts looking for a PPPoE host. Then I get a message saying "PPPoE: Not Connected". I tried clearing all the settings for Airport I could find and then trying my Wi-Fi network again, but it still asks for a PPPoE host. I can't seem to get Airport to understand there's no PPPoE host to connect to.

The network is protected by a WEP key (I know, not the most secure thing, but tell that to the rest of the family that doesn't even understand the need for password-protection to begin with). And the router is a D-Link DI-524, and has worked fine since I got my Mac in August of 2005.

EDIT: Also, the Windows PCs in the house and my friends PowerBook all work fine with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I thought it was going to be a simple fix until you said the other computers work fine with it...try disabling the airport again, enable it again, then check your wep key, make sure that you did not accidently erase or change it when you reverted the settings back...
If you still having problems after checking all those things, in your network settings delete the location you currently have set up, and re-create a new location. ... hopefully that will fix everything.
There is still the chance that after doing all this it will still not work, that is the way wi-fi is, sometimes a PITA. So if it is still not functional create a new account (if you do not have one already) named failsafe (I find having a account like this helps when troubleshooting) then log in to the account and see if the airport can connect on this account. If it can then there is a problem with your account, a problem that should be easily fixable by deleting a few .pref files that are related to networking.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check your AirPort settings. Open Network then click on Airport. Check the PPPoE Tab. It should not be enabled since you have a router. It sounds like somehow it got enabled. PPPoE is for connecting to DSL straight from the DSL modem when it does not have a PPPoE built in.

Reaction score
I sugguest doing what dtravis7 says. Also--I would make sure the router has not been unplugged or anything that would cause the settings to be messed up. One time, my router got unplugged and the IP addresses for my router and DSL modem were conflicting. Since I have the router acting as the DHCP server to some extent..I had to change the IP address of the router. Make sure you still have the PPoE settings corret in your router. Best of luck...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Thanks for your help guys! It's working again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.5"
Me, too...

I've got a similar problem. I'm connected to our wireless through a router, with AirPort, but ever since my well-meaning PC boyfriend tried to hook me up to the wireless (I figured it out later, pretty much by accident), I constantly get a message popping up telling me that no PPoE server has been found.

In Network-->Airport-->>PPoE, PPoE is not selected... any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.