Transferring music from one iPhone to another

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
I just bought my wife a new iPhone 8 Plus to replace her old iPhone 6. After we got the iPhone I backed up her iPhone 6 and restored it to the new iPhone, but that did not transfer her music, and I do not know why.

She has a lot of music on her old iPhone, but none of it got to the new iPhone in the restore. Is there a reason for that? And how can I transfer her music properly? It is not music purchased through iTunes, but rather is music from cds that were stored on her iPhone 6 via iTunes. Does that make any difference?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If it was synced through iTunes, then plug in the new iPhone and re-sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, the source of the track can affect the way in which it is transferred. If Ashwin's suggestion doesn't resolve it, do a backup of the old iPhone, but this time use a password to secure it. Then do a restore to the new phone from that secure backup. Secure backups store some things that unsecured backups do not. I don't know if music is one of those, but it could be worth a try. (Just don't forget the password you assign to the backup or you won't be able to get to it again.)

Also, if iTunes fails, you can try iMazing to do the backups/restore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is not music purchased through iTunes, but rather is music from cds that were stored on her iPhone 6 via iTunes. Does that make any difference?

No, it doesn't matter. Just follow what Ashwin suggested above and the music should sync to her phone. I do this all the time with the home recordings we make and store in iTunes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it was synced through iTunes, then plug in the new iPhone and re-sync.
Unfortunately that will not work.

Yes. the music was put on the old iPhone using iTunes, but that was 2 years ago and we no longer even have that computer, let alone have the music on the new computer. I was hoping there was some way to copy the music from the old iPhone to the new Mac and then copy it to the new iPhone. Is there any way to do that?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that's the case, you'll have to use a 3rd party app like iMazing to grab the music off the current phone and then put into iTunes on a new machine and use that to future sync. Hopefully you didn't backup the old phone and get rid of it hoping that it had the music as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that's the case, you'll have to use a 3rd party app like iMazing to grab the music off the current phone and then put into iTunes on a new machine and use that to future sync.

I will take a look at that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hopefully you didn't backup the old phone and get rid of it hoping that it had the music as well.

I do not understand what you are saying here. I did back up the old iPhone - that is how I restored it to the new iPhone, but I did not get rid of it. What I do not understand is what you mean by "hoping that it had the music as well". Hoping the old iPhone had the music? It still does, but the backup did not restore the music.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as you still have the old iPhone, you should be in good shape with the 3rd party app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.