On my phone and on my ipad

Reaction score
Are notes “on my phone” and “on my iPad” only on the phone and iPad and not accessible to the cloud?

Yes would mean passwords stored there would be safe unless someone had my actual device. Is this correct?

And third why isn’t this safer then a password maneuver that encrypts passwords but stores them in 5e cloud?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Are notes “on my phone” and “on my iPad” only on the phone and iPad and not accessible to the cloud?

You can choose. You can keep them exclusively on an iDevice, but then they won't sync.

But if you go in to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud, then you can choose which things you want to sync.

If you select "Notes", then it will be stored on iCloud and synced to those iDevices.

Yes would mean passwords stored there would be safe unless someone had my actual device. Is this correct?

If you choose to store on iCloud and sync to your iDevices, then whatever is in "Notes" will be handled in this way. If someone got your device, knew your email and iCloud password and signed in, only then would they have access to everything on iCloud.

Using 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) would protect you further from such an intrusion.

And third why isn’t this safer then a password maneuver that encrypts passwords but stores them in 5e cloud?

Not entirely sure what you mean; but say you have a PW manager that encrypts your passwords on your device, then syncs them to your other devices; that would be more secure.

Does this address your questions adequately?

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. I want to just leave it on my phone which I lock and therefore based on what you tell me my passwords are local and only accessable by me u less somebody gets my pone and can unlock it before it wipes out.

I still don’t understand how the cloud with two factor authentication is safer if somebody gets my phone they can access passwords with two factor anyway.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I want to just leave it on my phone..........

That's fine. You got your answer. On the phone it stays and you have the usual safeguards in place, as you stated.

By 2FA, I only meant that you could designate another source (other than your phone) for receiving the 6 digit code. But that's irrelevant in your case now. A comment in passing, that's all.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually I didn’t know 2 factor could be on another device. Guess I need to check my. Settings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.